Netscape 7 PR1 released, browser war on again?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jaykk, May 22, 2002.

1. jaykk macrumors 6502a

insanely-great.com and other sites reports of Netscape 7 Preview release

"The timing of this otherwise innocuous announcement -- the availability of Netscape PR1 (a beta by any other name...) -- points deliciously toward the possibility that the browser war is definitely on again "

"Add this to the fact that AOL has dumped IE as the default browser in the v2.0 beta of AOL for Mac OS X, as well as the two companies' collaboration on Apple's iChat, and a pattern begins to emerge. "

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=450

I downloaded this software at work ona PC, and it has got Tabbed View, similar to Chimera Navigator. its real fast.. But when I downloaded on this Mac, this Tabbed view feature is not available in Mac Version..But overall speed is increased..

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yep its on versiontracker
    I haven't tried it....but I'm using omniweb and IE now
    when they release the full version it will be good...does it have anti-aliased text

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I just got it then and I have to say I'm impressed...it's very fast and windows resizing is to.....I think it even faster than mozilla 1.0...
    I was hopping for anti-aliased text but it aint in the preview but I like it so far

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Netscape 7 with tabs?!?

Hmmm...I'll have to check that out.

I've been using the Mozilla releases for the tabs -- maybe I'll switch back to Netscape once the full release is out.

(BTW -- nice 'tar Mac15 !!!)

5. Tokyo macrumors member

After using Mozilla for a week or so I downloaded the new Netscape 7. Essentially, it is the exact same program, but with Netscape logos slapped onto it, and a few toolbar additions (e.g., AIM chat).

Exact same bugs still exits. I WANT to use this one, but will limit that use until the bugs are fixed. Most annoying: at seemingly random times, the CMD-W to close tab and the right click-for-submenu abilities switch off, ande stay off until a link is followed or until a window is opened and closed.

Would also like some customization of the toolbar a la Explorer, but could do without. It's a big improvement over earlier netscapes, but IMHO is still in beta stage, maybe for a bit longer.

Tokyo

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Do you have...

...the mach-o version of mozilla 1.0rc2? It's ***fast*** (especially if you turn on html pipelining in the prefs). I think there's a link to it on the arstechnica forums somewhere.

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Better than before, but no 4.x...

This browser is a bit bloated, but finally starting to look like a quality browser. It has some features IE lacks, like tabs, but could stand to shed the email client. As far as speed, 7.0 is snappy, well at least for an OS X browser. The Mach-O build seems interesting from what I hear, but the darned thing won't open on my computer. It just bounces once and then goes away. Any suggestions?

8. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Faster than Mozilla 1.0?

Pretty sure it is Mozilla 1.0.

Chris

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Re: Faster than Mozilla 1.0?

how did you get my real name or is that yours
    oh crap

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OMG this thing is fast. Well, that is it. IE just went to the trash. I have to say that this could bring back the browser wars, no doubt about it. I can't wait to test this over a period of time.

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I really like the aim feature built into it
    I was chatting to ambitiouslemon all afternoon....I never use AIM. I like using it know

12. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I prefer Adium, although I look forward to iChat.

I gather most people don't like the interface on iChat

Ensign

13. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

personally, netscape feels sorta slow...like when I'm typind in a URL, the text comes up like a tiny bit after i type it...and the whole thing feels a bit slowish and cpu-hogging to me...chimera has also seemed to slow down after a few weeks of using it...maybe it needs to be cleaned up...BTW, i'm on a imac 600 with 640mb

14. j763 macrumors 6502a

On the subject of the iChat UI, you don't have to use the bubble view, you can use boxes instead.

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OK, that was screwed up. Anyway, it is way fast on my machine and I have an iMac 600 with a gig. It is worth it to try to clean up your machine. I mean it will load the Apple Store page in less than 1.3 sec on my machine. This thing is sick fast.

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think that Netscape 7 will be much better than IE or even Mozilla.

Here is my reasoning, which is pretty simple. CNet gave Netscape 6.2 AND Scape 7 PR 1 a 7/10. That means that if Netscape knows what needs to be done, and as long Netscape and Mozilla cooperate efficiently, Netscape will most likely become a top dog application.

I will probably set aside a day to download the final version, once Scape 7 is finally ready. I really think that people should give Netscape another chance. It will probably become the ultimate competition for IE.

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree with the king on this one. I have been using it all day without one crash. I wish that I could say the same for IE. I really think that I am going to ban Microsoft from my mac. I know this sounds extreme with Office being as good as it is, and I am sure it will be back on there in a week, but it would be fun.

18. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

i down loaded netscape 7. it is very similar to 6.2(which i use) , but there are some newer features, like the netscape radio , and various other things. It is annowing when you look at your side bar and you dont see all the tabs so you have to scroll down to get to them. I say stick with 6.2 until they have a final release.

:) :D

19. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

Edit

[inaccurate information...Netscape is Carbon.]

Fear the King.

21. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

OK, I understand. So is anyone happy with this app?

Is there any reasion I should make the switch from IE? I'm pretty happy with IE, BTW.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

Check out this review. Cnet says that they were impressed by Netscape 7.0, but it does have a few missing features.

Tell me what you think.

Fear the King.

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

[Lemon responded to my previous post of Carbon/Cocoa and I gave inaccurate information. Again, Netscape is Carbon.]

edited

Fear the King.

24. Matt_d macrumors newbie

I gave that up

I use to use netscape all the time. Why bother now when its just mozilla under another name.:eek: