Netscape plug-in problem & question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tag, Dec 28, 2005.

1. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I've been using Netscape 7.2 lately in conjunction with Safari, but a few things have been bugging me.

Is there anyone here that has installed the google search engine plug-in into Netscape? I'm trying to figure out why when I type a search into the URL field, it says 'Search Google for "whatever", though when I enter it still searches with netscape.com instead. I inlcuded a screenshot below, prior to hitting enter where it says google, but then searches netscape. It's driving me batty that I can't figure it out. (Just to note, if I use the search function in the Sidebar, it searches Google fine. So odd.).

Also wondering if anyone knows of a plug-in that spell checks? For some reason Netscape's spellchecker only checks emails, which is bothersome when I'm trying to post here on the forums. :(

I know I'll probably get at least a few 'Oh my god stop using that app' but I like it and any little bits of help would be nice. :D

Attached Files:

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Funny you should post this. I was just using Netscape for the first time in a long time just now. I realized that it has Netscape Composer, which for being free, is quite a nice little WYSIWYG HTML editor. Anyway, can't answer your question; just commenting on Netscape.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Google is the search engine for Netscape. You don't have to install anything. Just in case, check out your Search tab in Netscape's My Sidebar.

4. tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Hmm thats wierd, I didn't have that option available after I downloaded Netscape, the only search engine listed that I could choose was Netscape, every search I did brought me to the netscape search engine, I couldn't change it via Sidebar or Preferences, until I downloaded the google engine plug-in via a mozilla plug-in athere at mozdev.org and downloaded the 'Google (google.com) by Netscape, amitp@google.com [last updated: 09.03.2004]'. I literally searched through the Netscape.app and found no reference in it to Google. Once I downloaded the plug-in I could search google through the sidebar, through still not from the URL bar.

I don't think there is a version higher than 7.2 is there? Maybe there is a more up to date version that I am missing?

Attached Files: