Netscape?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by atacinus, Mar 28, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Okay, this has been driving me nuts for forever...so maybe someone can help. I use netscape 7.01 for ONE feature only and that is that when i click and hold on a link it will pop up a little dialogue that let's me choose 'open in new tab' etcetera...does any other browser have this ability because other than that i HATE netscape...but with safari, I have to CTRL-click each time i want to tab [which is frequent]. Hoping someone knows,

Christien.

2. StarmanDeluxe macrumors member

I believe this is what we call "criminal pickiness."

3. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Or, you could get a 2 button mouse, and the right button works as the CTRL+click. Works like a charm!

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

--sigh-- someone likes tabbed browsing...

Get Mozilla 1.6. I think it's a little better built than Netscape. And Moz. v.1.6 has never crashed on me -- and I've used it for more than 200 hours.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Commmand-click is a hardship? You have one hand on the mouse and the other hand??? Seems you should have a hand free.

Suggest it to Apple.

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oh, don't go there. The other hand may be busy... :eek: ;)

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

I recomend a 2button mouse, with a wheel, and USB connector.

it will change the way you use a computer.

8. arsbanned macrumors newbie

The center button/scroll on my Intellimouse Explorer launches a link a new tab. Multi-Button mouse=GOOD. :D

9. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Get a multibutton mouse! you won't regret it! I can open tabs with my scrollwheel and do exposé with two other mouse buttons, and I still have right and left click free! my life is good.

10. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

i.m downloading mozilla right now...i.ll see if that helps. For all those who want me to get a multi-button mouse...i would like to...if apple made one. i know i could use a third party, but i just love the style of my wireless apple mouse so much[!]...form over function i guess.

Christien.

11. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    in safari command-click gets the menu with the open in new tab option

12. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

There seems to be a little confusion here. In Safari, when tabbed browsing is enabled:
    Control-clicking a link displays a menu which includes 'Open link in new tab'.
    Command-clicking a link opens it in a new tab.
    Command-shift-clicking a link opens it in a new tab and selects it (the last two may be the other way around depending on your options).

atacinus, did you realise that you can skip using the menu altogether in Safari? IMO, command clicking a link is much easier and faster than clicking a link and waiting to display a menu and then finding a particular item in it. If you really want to click and wait for a menu, Firefox, Opera and Mozilla all support this (and probably others too). IMO Firefox is the best of these.