Network browsing issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Brother Michael, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Firstly what does it mean when I get the prompt "The alias "X" could not be opened because the original item could not be found"

With that said, why is it that when I browse the network, I have issues trying to connect to computers. However, if I manually type in the network addy in the "Go" Connect to server option, it works...

Any ideas?

All the computers are on the same subnet and workgroup as well.

2. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
    Make sure that each Mac or PC has its own static IP - If you are letting your routers DCHP lease the IP address to each computer then when that lease expires it will assign a new IP address.

The alias issue is simple - whatever the alias is supposed to be linked to, is missing or as been moved. You want to search for the original just to check the it is where it should be.

If it is, try repairing permissions - this might help.

Also if the alias is linked to a folder on another computer on your Lan and you using the DHCP autoassigned IP addresses, this could explain the problem, as the lease may have expired and that computer as now got a new IP address.

When you search manually you will see the computers on the LAN, so use static IP's this will resolve it.