Network Card for PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dangerdom, Oct 25, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a PowerMac G5 with two gigabit network ports on it, but one of them has stopped working. I am wondering if I can just buy a PCI gigabit network card and plug it in to one of the open PCI slots. If so, can I buy any brand?

The one that is listed on OWC is like $90.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/GE1000LA/

I have browsed through all of the ones on NewEgg and none of them mention support for Macs at all, much less a PowerMac G5. Will any generic PCI Gigabit card be supported?

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Personally, I'd just use the other ethernet port until it also dies, likely by that time you would be looking at simply replacing the machine with something faster (like a Mini)

Been awhile since I've seen any news on which PCI ethernet cards work with the G5. Some did, and some people had problems with.

Edit: looking at that they have a rather old driver, don't know if you still need their driver for it to work, or it was replaced by a generic Apple driver.

Might be able to buy a similar chipset for $15 and the local computer stone and use the sonnet driver also. Don't know with if it'll work with a newer chipset, but that used to be what some would do.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. The problem at this point is that I am using the PowerMac to run a DroboPro and am wanting two network ports so I can connect the DroboPro via gigabit rather than firewire.

A mini will probably replace the machine eventually, but if for a while I can spend only $15 to keep it going, that would be nice.

4. macrumors G4

5. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Have you tried checking ebay?

;)
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...nkw=pci+gigabit+mac&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Quite a few choices and are pretty cheap. Just stay away from anything that has a VIA chipset :D. There's even a dual gigabit card there so if your other ethernet port fails, you can still have 2. And it's only about half the price as the one you mentioned!

Edit:
    Do you have the dual-core version of the G5, those use PCIe cards. The ones above use PCI/PCI-X.

6. macrumors G5

Sun Baked