Network Card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macoltrane, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Macoltrane macrumors member

I need to register my network card so I can connect to the campus network at my college. Does anyone know how to do this? They only provided instructions for Windows users :mad:

Thanks guys

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you provide us with the Windows instructions then we might be able to help.

3. baummer macrumors 6502a

Call your campus' network department (some call it Network Ops, some schools call it Resident Net, etc.) and ask them for instructions on the mac.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

They are more than likely just looking for the MAC address of your network card. To find this go to the Apple menu in the top left corner then about this mac then More Info. In the Apple System Profiler go to the network tab and you will find the MAC address of the network card(s) installed in your computer.

5. Macoltrane thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply guys. These are the instructions.

"You need to register the Ethernet Address (EA) of your Network Card by filling in this form.

An Ethernet address is a string of 12 letters or digits (denoted as xxxxxxxxxxxx below) shown on your Network Card. The exact details of which depend on the vendor of the card. Examples are:

* EA=xxxxxxxxxxxx
    * xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    * xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx

The only thing that matches this is the MAC address ChrisFromCanada pointed out. Now after I've clicked "Network" on the side-bar of the About My Computer menu, I've realized that there are several different MAC addys if I select "Airport" or "Built-in Ethernet". If my school is asking to register my "Ethernet Address" that would mean I would use the MAC addy shown when I highlight "Built-in Ethernet", correct? If I were to register my wireless network card that would be the MAC address under "Airport" right? I'm guessing that the MAC address is supposed to be my network card ID.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I really need to make sure. Thanks for all the help. :)

6. CyberB0b macrumors regular

CyberB0b

How will you connect to the school network? If you are connecting an ethernet cable to your laptop, then send the built-in ethernet MAC address. If you are connecting over wireless send in the airport MAC address.

7. Macoltrane thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. They allow me to report both. I just need to know if these are the correct addresses I'm supposed to give them.

8. CyberB0b macrumors regular

CyberB0b

Yes, that is correct. Give them both MAC addresses.

9. Macoltrane thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks