Network connection while using ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andcraig, Jun 18, 2005.

1. andcraig macrumors regular

May 28, 2005
    My ethernet connection seems to be struggling to function consistently on my powerbook. The wireless is working perfectly, its just the ethernet hookup thats being odd.
    The router and cable modem are functioning perfectly, the cable covering the distance between myself and the router is good (seeing as it has functioned perfectly on my windows box for nearly a year), and there's no obvious problems occuring unless its something funky either with the jack or some odd network config setting in OSX.
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    1- Bad cable. Did you make the cable? Has cable stress caused degradation. Has it been chewd on by a rat, muling baby, or strange terrier?

2- Bad physical port connection. Are all the tines on the Ethernet port (both router and computer all the way up? If not a sharp pin bent into an L can help. Be careful if you do this!!! Are the contacts clean on cables and ports?

3- Bad logic board- Sorry it happens, especially if the port has been stressed, like somebody tripping on the cord.

4- EMI. Is the cable shielded. Is it cat5e or better? Are you running past a compressor (like draping it over a big old SubZero or microwave. It sounds strange, but EMI may be the issue. I once installed a POS system with really robust cables. From time to time the system would loose contact with servers. I couldn't figure it out. No splices, no bad connections, the loop through worked- then I found that the cooks removed the back of the microwave to clean it out. Bingo. Not that it takes that extreme a case.

Just my thoughts.

Hard Drive-->Applications-->Utilities-->Network Utility
    Switch ports on the router and see the difference in pinging the router, or in tracing the rout to a known server.

Side Note- for humor Once when I was a troubleshooter for a company, one of the things I did was install POS systems and do training. I once had a cook so irritated at change that he dropped the printer into the deep fryer in protest. Just grabbed it as it printed and dropped it in the basket, lowered it and smiled. It was funny, though stupid. The strongest personality in any restaurant are usually the cooks. I respect all people that work in the service industry, and when one of them cracks- painful comedy ensues.