Network Disconnects?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBoyX, Feb 6, 2007.

1. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I'm having the strangest problem on my 2.0GHz CoreDuo MacBook. I'm posting here in hopes that someone is seeing something I'm not. Let me set the stage...

I own two MacBooks. One white, one black. Both of them rebuild after purchase with a fresh clean install of OS X 10.4. Both running 10.4.8. Both connected to the same network. The issue happens with the White MacBook but not the Black.

I randomly get disconnected from both iChat and Yahoo Messenger. But not just disconnected. I lose my connection but BOTH clients still appear connected on my Mac. I can send messages, well it looks like I'm sending messages... but I'm actually offline.

I think I've tested everything I could but maybe I missed something. Some more facts...

it's random. no one activity causes it. if both iChat and Yahoo Messenger are running, I get disconnected from one, but not the other. If I'm doing an Audio/Video chat, I don't lose my AV even if I lose my iChat connection, same thing if I'm on Skype. I think this rules out it being my network hardware.

The other machines on my network aren't having issues but to be save I replaced my wireless hub to no avail.

Add to this that it happens in Parallels on a Windows version of AIM. And again it does not happen in Windows on the Black MacBook nor on my Dell Laptop.

I've tried a new user on my OS X, with nothing at all running, still happens. I've rebuilt as well...and the problem persists.

Anyone have any ideas? Something I missed? Something I don't know?

macboyX

2. dukeman macrumors member

Don't have a answer but maybe a couple ideas.

1) setup a static IP on the one that disconnects.
    2) Check for a lose antenna wire where it connects to the wireless card, under the keyboard i think. I know the old ibooks had them I don't know if the new "macbooks" do or where they are.
    3) Try using a cat5 cable plugged directly into the router. Sounds like the wireless is dropping some packets.

Other than that i don't have much else to go on. Does it drop net access when it drops the chat clients?

3. MacBoyX thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Hi.

I've set up a static IP on the one that disconnects, still happens. I don't lose net access. Just connection to chat apps. I don't see disconnects when I'm doing Video Chats with iChat AV either.

In MacBooks, the Airport card is on the MoBo so only way to get at the antenna is to tear 'er apart. But again I'm thinking if it was that... woudln't I lose my Video chats? Skype calls? Downloads?

Thanks for your help tho. I'm glad there is some where to go to talk about it.

4. ddekker macrumors regular

just for my info; what router do you use? I have a linksys router, I use a powerbook flawless.. my one friend has a macbook pro and it works perfect on my network, then I have two other friends that have macbooks and they both disconnect what seems like every few minutes... I haven't put a ton of work into fixing this being as all my apples/windows/linux boxes work flawless, but it does bug me.... ohh yes, I am running WEP and my SSID is broadcast... maybe there is a firmwear update for the macbook???

DD

5. MacBoyX thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I've had a Linksys Router, an AirPort Express Base Station and now a Belkin router. All have the same effect. This past week i've tried everything including a fresh install, which yielded no improvement. I've even zeroed out the HD, nothing. Today I swapped hard drives with a friend's MacBook and it still happens to me on his MacBook, him on mine... no problems he never gets bumped. At this point... I'm at a loss as to what it can be.

Sigh.

mbx