Network Discovery?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shelterpaw, Aug 31, 2006.

1. shelterpaw macrumors regular

I'm trying to get OS X to discover computers on my local network. It's had some success, but not as much as my pre-RC1 Vista or Windows XP.

I've read the solution Networking Windows with Mac OS X It's a nice solution, but I was well aware of it before and have been able to network OS X for some time. It's just a pita. Also the Browse Network feature is cool, but super slow compared to its windows counterpart.

What I want is to discover computers even if they don't have sharing turned on. Vista and XP seem to be able to do this, but OS X 10.4.7 doesn't or if it does, I can't seem to get it to work.

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

You must be mistaken, Vista and XP only see systems with sharing enabled. If a system is disabled from sharing, how are you seeing it? Disabling from sharing means disabling from view, so the answer is, you can't.

3. shelterpaw thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps.. I'll double check the other laptop and PC. Needless to say, the Vista computer found them and OS X did not. And these two computers are running next to each other, not that it makes a difference, but it' s not like they're on different parts of the network. So that makes OS X's discovery even worse.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Which version of Vista are you using? Hopefully you acquired it legally, considering a stable release has yet to exist.

5. shelterpaw thread starter macrumors regular

It's the Public pre beta pre-rc1. It's very stable and easy to install. Not quite as easy as OS X. Another public beta will be released this week if you want to check-it-out.