Network drive and iTunes collaborating to destroy me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livingfortoday, Feb 3, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Ok guys, I have a major iTunes problem. I have m library on a network drive, and the other day I was setting up my new iMac, right? Well, I forgot to set the library to the network drive in iTunes, so when I dragged the files over, it started copying them onto the iMac hard drive. I caught it about 8GB in to it, and stopped it. I then changed the library to the network drive one, and selected the imported songs and hit delete. It hadn't given me the option of "remove from library?" yet, when the iMac froze up and needed to be rebooted. When it booted back up... all those songs were gone, even from the network drive.

What's weird, is, when I do a search, they show up, but it can't find the location or the file size for them, it just sees that they're there... somewhere. Is there a way to get them back? Are they deleted, or just floating in limbo somewhere? I don't wanna have to re-rip 8GB of CD's! It took days before!

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

\Yeah, there's nothing in there. Thing is, when you click to delete anything from a network drive, it doesn't go to the trash, it's immediately deleted. That's why I'm confused by these "ghost" files...

4. munchmime macrumors member

I once had a similar problem

With me though, it seemed that the song files were being placed in a hidden file, and to get to them I had to use a program like pathfinder...
    i think i may have used mac explorer though... not sure it was a while ago, but you may want to check if thats what's happening

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, neither of those programs seem to run on my Intel iMac... :eek: