Network drive / Carbon Copy Cloner question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thekb, Jun 1, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I have my main iTunes library housed on an external hard drive (called 'iTunes') that is connected to my Airport Extreme router. I want to be able to back it up onto an external hard drive ('iTunes backup') that I plug into my MBP periodically.

I set up a scheduled task to automatically do this when the drives are both visible on the system, but when I plug in my 'iTunes backup' external drive to my MPB, the task does not begin. The only way to make it backup is to manually start it.

I know this is a little counterintuitive to backup a network drive to a local drive, but is this something CCC or Mac OSX cannot do? Is there a setting I need to tweak to make the automatic backup occur when the backup drive is connected locally?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 601

satcomer

Just have both drives connected when backing up the iTunes Library and then set the Scheduler to do daily or weekly backups.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you don't think it can be set to perform the backup automatically when the drives are connected? I can trigger the backup manually, but it's just more convenient when it is automatic.

Thanks

4. macrumors 6502

You can, trough 'Scheduled Tasks (Command + S)' in your Carbon Copy Cloner.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again ... I tried scheduling a task to automatically backup the source drive when the destination drive is connected, but it wouldn't automatically initiate. I have to trigger it manually.

6. macrumors 6502

That's weird. Mine is working fine.

I run the task on weekly basis, selects a day and save.

7. macrumors newbie

Can you edit the scheduled task? eg. adding files to be backed up? As I understand editing sheduled tasks is not possible and that makes ccc really hard to work with, or have I missed something here?