Network drives disconnect on sleep

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cleaner416, Jan 21, 2005.

1. cleaner416 macrumors newbie

Greetings -

I have a Linux box sharing network drives using SMB. It is a very basic configuration with full permissions for anyone in the LAN.

With a couple of different Macs running Panther, I have no problem connecting to these shared drives using the finder or a script. However, when the Macs sleep, the shared drives are not there anymore when the Macs wake up. It is a bit cumbersome to reconnect, and it causes many errors if an application is left open that is using a file on the network drives.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

From what I understand the network drive disconect when the PM goes to sleep because the ethernet port is not active when the machine sleeps so the connection is lost. Example: When I put my PM to sleep the "PC Activity" light on my cable modem goes out because the port is not active.

Now I think there is an option somewhere that will have the machine reconnect to network drives after waking up, but I'm not at my Mac to check. Also I could be thinking of an option to reconnect at startup.

3. cleaner416 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that makes sense - no power, no connectivity, no connection. I'll probably just write a script to reconnect on wake-up - I can't seem to find a reconnect option in the prefs anywhere.

Thanks!

4. dr bognus macrumors newbie

the same happens with my school network... when the computer is put to sleep the airport or whatever connects it to the internet is shut down, i think it is because the computer does not keep the connection while it is asleep as it is not carrying out any processes... i think

Therefore i think this is a problem you will probably have to live with although it is very easy to load network discs and a mac should be able to store the password if there is one..

Dr B