Network help, including airport express and slingbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wangchunggti337, Jan 14, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I have two issues:

One.)
    I have read that you can use an aiport extreme station as a wireless repeater, or range extender, for a network using a linksys router. This would be perfect for my situation. I have found posts describing how to do it. I think I have it figured out on the airport side, but I don't know what to do on the linksys side to make it work.

Any help?

Two.)
    I have a slingbox hooked up to my network. But even when on my own network the video lags like crazy, so much that it is not worth watching. Plus, I want to adjust the settings to allow it to broadcast outside of my network, how do I do this? Is it a common problem for it to lag? Or is my connection too slow? Could I benefit from a new modem, as I have had mine for several years.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know about the new Extreme, but I know the old Express can be set to use WDS with a Linksys router (extend range and so on). :)

Whahweeewhawo? :confused:

Okay, depending on the bitrate of a movie file, the network reception and the outright network speed, I guess it's reasonably common for a video to skip and lag. Is your network 802.11B or 802.11G (or something else)? What sort of router do you have and where are the movies being streamed from? Unless it's the 'net, don't worry about your modem for now. :)