Network Help Please!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by evil, Nov 25, 2003.

1. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    ok i really dont know what i am doing and i want to get my two macs networked so i can share files.

i have a linksys 4port wireless router with an emac connected to it through an ethernet cord and then i have a powerbook using the wireless internet through it with airport.

how do i get the 2 computers set up to share files?
    please someone help. i just spent over 2 hours trying to get it to work
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Go to "System Preferences" in both computers, click on "Sharing", and click "Personal File Sharing" so there is a check mark next to it. If you're using Mac OS 10.2, go to the "Go" menu in the Finder, and go to "Connect to Server..." You should see the other computer in there. If you're running Mac OS 10.3, open a finder window, and click on the "Network" button in the sidebar on the left. The other computer should show up.
  3. TMedina macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2003

Can I use a Linksys router to connect with both a PC and a Mac?

Could I use a Microsoft Wireless Base Unit to support a Mac? (I'm guessing the answer to this one is 'no', but I thought I'd ask to be sure)

Sorry, I'm not a Mac person.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    #1 Yes, you can do both PC and Mac on a Linksys... connecting, it's pretty much the same as what MoparShaha said.

#2 can't answer, but i would think so.
  5. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    As long as the Microsoft base is 802.11b or "WiFi" compatible then it will work with any other wireless networking hardware that supports 802.11b. I am very sure that it would support that, as it is the standard wireless networking protocol nowadays.
  6. evil thread starter macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    ok i have enabled appletalk on both computers and file sharing is checked on both.

when i go to connect to servers there is no icon for the other computers.
    am i stupid or am i missing something?
    i never t hought i would have so much trouble trying to network 2 macs.
  7. cazlar macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This is not what you wanted in regards to the wireless, but if you want the easiest possible network between the two macs, simply connect them via ethernet. The cable doesn't have to be a crossover, they should auto-sense this and make it work. Assuming you have turned on sharing etc (and haven't disabled the ethernet ports), they should show up then.

Once you have this working, you could then try adding the wireless factor back in...

For added fun, if you are running 10.3, you can apparently also run a network via a FireWire cable between 2 macs