Network help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MarkW19, Jan 6, 2005.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'm hoping to connect my Playstation2 (with network card) to my ADSL (1mbps) connection on my Mac so I can use them both at the same time.

How do I do this?

I'm using a D-link ethernet modem on my G5, which is then connected directly to the ADSL socket.

Is it just a case of getting a 2-port ADSL hub or something and plugging it into the modem?

What do I have to do?

Thanks!

Mark

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should get a router to put between your modem and your equipment. The router will go through the modem to get an IP address, and then will do internal DHCP to your two boxes.

Putting a hub probably won't work, since your modem only gets, I'm guessing, a single IP address, and a hub wouldn't be able to distribute internal IPs.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your reply...I was hoping for a cheaper option than a router...

Would getting one of those cheap ($10) PCI network adaptor cards (with an ethernet port) do the trick, and turn on Internet Sharing? I guess I wont have to install any drivers for it. Will it fit in my Powermac G5 (original single 1.8)?

I've got a static IP if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Internet sharing should work okay, but I've never done it with a game console. Just remember that...

(1) the G5 has to be on in order for the console to access the internet; doesn't sound like this is an issue

(2) there have been some reports that using Internet Sharing on a network causes problems. I imagine you'll be okay, as I haven't had problems doing it on occasion at home, but I've got a router between me and my cable modem.

Otherwise, for $10 or so, it's worth a shot!

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok...

Will a PCI network card definitely plug into my G5 (pci-x slots) and need no drivers?

Will it be ok sharing my same static IP?

And do I just run a cross-over cable between my network adaptor and PS2?

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

1. Not sure - check the specs on the card. I am not familiar enough with the PCI-X spec to know what the support is for standard PCI cards.

2. Yes, it's okay to share, your Mac will distribute a fresh IP via sharing.

3. I'm pretty sure you need a cross-over cable to go directly into your console from the Mac.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've been told I need a hub, and then connect all 3 things (mac, ethernet modem, PS2) to the hub, with no configuration neccessary. Just normal Cat5 RJ45 network cables between everything.

Is this right??

8. Gee macrumors 65816

I tried internet connection sharing (briefly) and couldn't get it to work using a Mac laptop and my PS2. A router is the way to go, but yes, once set up, it's pretty much plug and play.

I have an adsl ethernet modem, as you do, plugged into an airport express, then my mac connects wirelessly. The ps2 is plugged into a second airport in another room which acts as a bridge type thing...all very sweet and wireless, and airtunes too!

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Cheaper than $60?

(or the pound equivalent?) Routers aren't a whole lot more than a hub. Sure it's not free, but it's not breaking the bank either.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't think it would work. Here's why - your ADSL modem will only provide a single IP address. That IP address cannot be shared between your Mac and the PS2 (it's not like having 2 phones on the same extension).

In order to get a unique IP address for each device (when they are on at the same time) you need to have a router involved. The router will connect to the modem and get an IP address. It will then make up a new set of internal IP addresses and give one each to the Mac and the PS2 (DHCP or static).

What this ends up like is this:

Internet
    |
    |
    Modem
    |
    |
    Router ----- PS2
    |
    |
    Mac

Your router will get the static IP that your Mac now has, say 15.24.219.71. It will then provide separate IP addresses, like a 10.192.168.100 and .101 to your two devices. It will handle making sure traffic from both devices gets routed (catchy) through the 1 external IP address to the main ISP.

With a hub, it is essentially just a line splitter, and has no real intelligence (in terms of distributing IP addresses). If your modem included router functionality, then you could use the hub, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Routers aren't to much. As seen here. they can be reasonable, I think I even seen some as low as $25 at BestBuy after rebates.

BTW, a router would be the best thing.

12. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

$30 with 802.11g wireless

As noted above, you can get a top of the line "home" router, with full wireless capability (802.11g) for $30.

Here's a nice Netgear model - I'm presently using it with 2 Macs/2 PC's / 2 network printers.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...desc=MR814+Cable/DSL+Wireless+Router,+802.11b

If it's only about saving money, there's an old model, with the slower wireless speed, for $10 after rebates.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...ven=dealm_site&cm_cat=deals1_2005&cm_pla=site

Edit - Sorry, just noticed you're in the UK. But if you search for either of these models you'll probably finds similar deals locally.

13. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your help - looks like a router is the way to go!