Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
I got ADSL about a week ago, and since then I haven't been able to run a KDX, Carracho server, since I can't connect to myself to admin and see whats going on

But I can't do that, my ISP gives me an IP which is usually 203.33.xxx.xxx something, but the I can't connect to that when I'm running a server such as KDX

I'm on a Speedtouch USB modem over PPPOA, and its all confusing , I want to change it, so that I can run a KDX server.

here is a pic of my network settings if this helps

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 176

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Is you ISP blocking the required ports (probably UDP ports, not sure of the numbers). I heard that some ISPs (iirc in Aus) were blocking the ports used by file sharing programs. BT here in the UK slowed these ports down for dial-up users for a while (so Napster et al only downloaded at less than 1kbs).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by mac15
I need to forward one of my ports I think but how?

You can only forward ports from one computer (or "intelligent" network device to another. The normal use for port forwarding (in a home environment) is to "punch" a hole through a file wall. In this case you forward the port from the firewall to the device that will use it (a computer normally). I do not think you need to forward any ports.

Do you have the personal firewall on your mac running (it's in the Sharing control of System Preferences). If you do have it running then you need to find out which ports you need to have open and add them to the firewall configuration.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by mac15
I need to forward one of my ports I think but how?

Im guessing that your using some kind of a router right? You have to tell your router that requests for the ports that Carracho uses should be directed to your computers IP. its something like 192.168.1.X right? Your computer should have a static private IP adress for this to work right. If your behind a router... then you have a nated adress. Works great for normal use.. but running servers or using VPN is harder. I have mine working.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
I don't have a router, I just have a Speedtouch USB modem and thats how that come up

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
USB to Eth

I have seen USB to Cat 5 converters before. I wonder if you could use one of those and plug your modem into a router... and then use NATed adresses from there... have any friends with a router you can test this with? If it works.. make sure that you get one that suports portforwarding and or a DMZ. My linksys works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.