Network help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by volntitan, May 17, 2005.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

I have a iMac G5 and a PC with a cable modem that is hooked up to a SMC wireless router. I have a usb wireless adapter, but I can't get it to work with the iMac. I don't want to go out and get Airport yet, because everything is set up in a temporary situation until we figure out where everything is going to go. Is there a cheap solution to have the imac hope on the wireless, i.e. usb adapter? If so, what do I need to get?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When you say "AirPort" do you mean the base station or the card? I'm not fully sure I understand your question but I reckon the easiest option would be to buy an AirPort Extreme card for the iMac so that it can connect to any wireless network. I've heard mixed reports about how those USB dongles play with OSX so I think the AirPort card is the easiest route.

Sorry if this isn't helpful but I'm struggling with your question a little.

3. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me see if I can clear it up. First, I am not a Mac person or a network person. But here is my set up:

I have a cable modem hooked up to a wireless router. My PC is hardwired directly to the router. We just bought an imac G5. I would like to jump on the wireless network. I thought about getting an airport card for the iMac, but since I wasn't sure where we would eventually put it (we might eventually have it hard wired to the wireless router and have the PC be the "remote" computer), I didn't want to spend the $80 for the airport card and the money to have it installed. Basically, I wanted to know what my cheapest option is for me to get tomorrow. A usb adapter, another router, a "bridge"? I am not up on networking, so not sure what to get.

Any help would be great....

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough, but I still think the AirPort card is the best option in terms of both ease-of-use and expense when you compare it to getting a whole wireless bridge or something. Hopefully someone else can recommend a cheaper option though, I personally can't. Sorry. :eek:

BTW, if you've got a rev B iMac, it should have AirPort inbuilt. I'm assuming you don't though because these only came out in the last few weeks.

5. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep...didn't get the ones with airport card installed.

Anyone else have thoughts?

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

My son uses this Linksys Wireless Access Point to hop on to his mom's wireless network from his iMac G5. It plugs into the ethernet port. The iMac thinks it's on a wired network. Works better than the Airport card too. We had problems with it reassigning the IP address, so this is the route we took. It's a lot smaller than it looks :p

7. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Shouldn't I be able to use any wireless G access point/bridge that connects with the iMac via an ethernet cable?

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I would think so, yes. Do you have something in mind? I'm thinking SMC might be the best bet since that's what your router is...

9. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

There is a Linksys super g ( or just g, not sure) access point at Office Max for around $60 that I am looking at. I wish the Airport Access wasn't so expensive.

10. Crikey macrumors 6502

Some 802.11g access points work as bridges and some don't, as I understand it. So if you got the right one, theoretically, yes. But would anything like that cost under $80 (and you'd need another Ethernet cable to connect it to the iMac)?

I don't know how hard it is to install an AirPort Extreme card in a new iMac, but I've installed AirPort cards in several earlier Mac models. That was easily within the capability of the average user.

I guess the trade-off is, if you end up using the iMac wirelessly, the AirPort Extreme is by far the coolest way to go: Apple's future software will always have drivers for Apple's hardware, it's inside and adds no clutter to your desk. If you end up using the iMac wired, you've spent $80 on something you're not using. But would you have a use for the external box aside from connecting your iMac to your network?

Crikey

11. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought a Belkin Access Point that can also be a bridge. Got it for $39. I discovered my wireless router is a 11 mps router. To get the Belkin to switch to a bridge, apparently you have to go thru a web based program to switch it. Unfortunately, it only really works as a bridge with a Belkin Router. I can get a belkin router (54mps, G with enhanced Mode) for $19 after rebates at Circuit City. I know a Airport Card might be easier, but yes, I do have other uses for a "bridge"...Playstation 2 for the kids. I am hoping if I get the Belkin Router (which I probably need so I can have faster wireless), that everything will work out.