Network HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Mar 28, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Hi all. I bought an iBook today, so it looks like I am doomed to be a newbie for at least another month. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

Here's the situation. I have a Linksys wireless router for use with Roadrunner. (I know the Linksys makes this not a just-Apple question, but judging by other threads it looks like a lot of you use the same thing, so... :)) Until today, there was two PC's and my iMac on the network, and everything worked just fine. I just now tried to get my new iBook to cooperate, and it just won't. In the Network settings, the computer is receiving an IP address from the router, and it is the correct one. The only difference in the whole screen between this machine and the iMac is that on the iMac the "Router" field has an IP but it is blank on the iBook. I am completely unable to get on the web and receive the "no such host error" when I try to do so. If I turn AppleTalk on, the iMac is unable to see the iBook. Also - now here's the weird part - I'm having trouble connecting to the router administration pages from any of the computers on the network. If I reset the router, I can access the admin page once, but that's it. When I do, and click the "DHCP" tab, all four computers are listed BUT - both the iMac and the iBook say "Cleo's iMac" even though the computer name is very clearly "Cleo's iBook" for the iBook.

I am sooooo stumped. If anyone can give me any idea of how to fix this, I would be forever indebted. My iMac got on the network so flawlessly that I guess I've been spoiled. Thanks!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Sounds weird... the iBook's Router IP should fill in automatically... and should be 192.168.1.1

Try it with just the ibook connected to the router and see what happens...

Alternatively, you can set it manually in settings

pick an ip address for your iBook such as

192.168.1.200 (ip)
    255.255.255.0 (subnet mask)
    192.168.1.1 (router)

You will have to fill in an IP address for the DNS (Domain name server) - if you don't fill it in, you won't be able to use domain names... only ip numbers in your browser...

try 216.239.51.100 - which is google.com in your iBooks browser after you make the above changes.

arn

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

OK! I first posted to say that didn't work, but on a hunch I tried to get to google in my browser by typing the IP, and it worked perfectly. SO what gives?

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

What were your settings at this time...

arn

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Configure: Manually

IP Address: 192.168.1.103
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 216.239.51.100

Typing IP's works, names don't.

Still can't access router admin pages ("connection refused").

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you tried using a ethernet cable to connect directly with the router?? I know that sometimes you need to do that in order to configure them. I had to do that the first time with my airport base station.

I have had rough times configuring Linksys routers before (non-wireless). The airport base station on the other hand is a snap to do. I have mine set up to give out DHCP id's to any system going online. I had my cousin try and get into either my Mac or peecee (he is on a peecee only) and he couldn't even ping the IP that my computer had. The base makes a closed network on your side of the internet, and the new one even has a firewall I believe.

Check the manual for the router and have your iBook grab all numbers from the router.

Also try entering your ISP into the search domain field, and if you happen to have any DNS numbers put them in as well. I know that I needed to do that to get to my iDisk, even though I can go everywhere else online.

If all else fails, call Linksys support.

7. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

OK, update. All of the above still applies, EXCEPT:

I reset the router (again) and used the iMac to get into the router admin stuff. Saw a DNS listed there (65.32.2.130, to be exact) and stuck it into network settings on the iBook, and the web is working.

However, the DHCP client list still shows the iBook as being called iMac (which it isn't - I've tried logging out and in and rebooting). I don't know if this is a big deal, and if I don't see it affecting anything, I'm not going to worry about it at all.

AppleTalk is working just fine, with the correct names showing up in the correct places.

Arn, thanks so much for the help. I might be posting later if my fix proves to be temporary... :)

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

First... if you are going to use a manual IP... choose something out of the normal range. Linksys starts at 192.168.1.100 and starts adding... 101, 102 etc... so, choose something like 200 so you don't conflict...

As for the double name thing... I've seen that too... you can "fix" it.... by restarting all the computers and restaring the linksys... so it gives out ip's again to everyone... but like you said - I don't think it makes a functional difference.

arn

9. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

OK, everything *seems* to be working okay now. Thanks to all for your help.

Now I have a followup newbie question. :) It asks for a password to connect to the other computer using AppleTalk... which password would that be? :)

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Whatever password you set in the file sharing control panel on the computer you are trying to connect to via appletalk. You can open the panel and change it if you forgot it and then use that. I would suggest setting up a user on that system for the iBook with a user name and password. You can have it save it to the keychain if you like, or just make it something you will remember easily.

11. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Gah... everything was working great last night, and now it's all broken again. I woke up both machines a few minutes ago and was surfing the web on both with no problems. Then I tried to connect the two on AppleTalk (to the iMac from the iBook). The iBook couldn't see the iMac, and then the web stopped working on both. I'm on one of the PC's now. I guess now I'm going to try to hook the iBook up to the router via CAT5 and see if I can get it to use DHCP properly. Gah.:(