Network Initialization? Startup problems....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by trive, Dec 30, 2002.

1. trive macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Hi guys,
    I' Mark (again...): I got a small "problem" when my iMac 17inch starts up; well, it's generally faster than my old iMac G3 400 but it stands for about 30-45 seconds on "Waiting for network initialization" and I don't really know why.

I checked these things (but still stand on Waiting for network initialization....):
    - Startup Volumes: yes, it doesn't startup via network
    - Sharing and Firewall: I disabled firewall and all the stuff as personal web sharing, personal file sharing....
    - I checked I had the firmware updated
    - I checked I had the OS updated (10.2.3)

Any ideas?

Another "problem" is: I cannot change my Home icon. I logged in as root and changed them but can't see the new icons when not root.....
    Why? Maybe the fault could be mine: my Home folder is no longer in "Users"... (I changed it via Netinfo manager).

Thanks a million, you're really kind answering me.
  2. kenkooler macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    Mexico City
    I usually have that problem in my school where we have a wireless network, the computer waits for the dhcp server to send the ip info to the computer before starting up...
  3. trive thread starter macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002

well, i got an ethernet postation but it is not active.... (the ethernet postation works with DHCP).... i always use the automatic postation that uses PPP and the internal modem.... so why is my mac trying to use DHCP?

Well, do you think is esagerate to inizialize my HD and re install the OS?
  4. DjRedo macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2002
    Re: Network Initialization? Startup problems....

Hi Mark!

I dunno about this for sure, but it might be becuase you have been moving around on the Home folder. You could try booting from the OSX CD (pressing C while restarting, which you probably knew), and let the disk utility or what it is called (have NO-version) go through the permissions. The reason I suggest this is because the user system is closely linked to the networks and servers being run (or at least initialized, though hardly never used, such as sub-nets), so errors here might have the strangest affect on your envoronment. Since you are waiting so long, it might sound like your coomputer is waiting for some reply that it never gets (just like it might do if you just unplug it from a DHCP network without altering the network settings before restarting the computer).

This is just a suggestion, since you mentioned the User folder. It might be an easier solution than this... ;)

Good Luck