Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
I have an airport network setup, with one laptop connecting wirelessly, and an iMac connecting via ethernet to the basestation. Both have panther installed, with every update available. My internet is Cable with DHCP.

Every once in a while, my laptop and imac will lose internet access. However, the internet does work when the computer is connected directly to the cable modem.
To continue using airport to access the internet I have to reset the base station and redo all the settings.

My DHCP lease is set to the default 4 hours. Is there anything I can do to stop these network interruptions?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
This has been happening to me too. Except my pb is connected via cat5

Could it be the first OSX virus that we've been waiting for?

ddbean

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
me too on G5

I was losing Network connection like clockwork too, but ONLY on my G5, not iBook or hardwired boxes. Strange too cause Airport signal was strong, but no basestation. Had to restart G5 to reconnect. Resetting basestation wouldn't help.

Here's my setup

DSL
Netgear 5 port switch
Airport Graphite basestation

G5 with APx card OS10.3.1
iBook with A/P OS10.3.1
imac hardwired OS9.2.2
6100/233 mhz G3 upgrade card PPC OS8.6 webserver hard wired w/ seperate ip#config (manual)

Per local Mac dealer delete all network locations on the clients (except for webserver) and set all to Automatic, with DHCP.

I've also turned on Enable DHCP server on Ethernet and enable Airport to Ethernet bridging.

I've now turned off APx on G5 and hardwired it as test to see if APx card is issue.

I'm now streaming itunes radio to see how long I can stay on, looks good so far.

Also lease setting shouldn't be effected unless you have turned on "share a range of IP addresses", which I was told to leave off.

don't know if this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.