Network Printing with WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by decafjake, Nov 14, 2005.

1. decafjake macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2005
    I've got a Powerbook and a Windows XP computer on a network at home. I pretty much live on my Powerbook, so my XP sits on my desk and essentially is a back up drive at this point. I have set up file sharing between the two and can move files back and forth. I set up print sharing using WinXP's basic settings, and I can see the printer from my mac, but it will not let me choose the correct driver. It is a new photo/color printer, so the Gimpy/CUPS driver 10.3.9 has in it doesn't work for this printer.

Here's the question: Is there ANY way I can get my mac to print to this thing without buying hardware? Secondly, if I do need to buy a print server, which are Mac compatible? Airport Express, sure, but if I can get an off-brand for cheap, that would be great.

Pertinent info:

15" g4 1.25ghz Powerbook
    OS X 10.3.9
    WinXP sp2
    Canon Pixma iP4200

Anyone have any ideas or guidance? Contact me at: jacobSPAMcoakley at hotBLOCKERmail dot com.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Search the forum and you'll find that this is pretty much the most common question asked.....
  3. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    I had the same problem with my Canon Printer.
    Used a program called PrintFab, has CUPS drivers for almost all printers. Works perfectly for me.
  4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    The bonjour program for windows only acts as a client, not a server. Its only for connecting to bonjour shared printers on a mac, not a pc.
  5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    Well, if you don't have the printer driver,try downloading it from the Canon site (i assume u checked the site already) then make a search in google for the driver...
  6. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    I guess ill say it again, Canon does nor offer CUPS support for mac drivers (ie you cannot print to a network shared canon printer on a pc from a mac)
    The only way you can print like this is if you get a driver that supports CUPS, which you can get from just download the program to install the drivers. Then just go the the printer prefrences and change the drivers to printfab.
    Its that easy.
  7. Carmen1 macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2006
    Canon MP170 on XP PC from Mac on lan -failed print

I have tried the Printfab drivers, based on what I have read.
    Despite the Printfab published list that says the MP170 is supported, and
    although I can find MP130 and MP500 printers listed in the More printers
    window of the printer utility on my workgroup, and the utility finds the MP170 on the workgroup, there is no corresponing driver for the MP170 in the
    Canon printfab list of drivers.

Needless to say, the MP130 that I tried out of desperation merely ejected
    a blank sheet on the shared MP170 attached to the PC on my lan.

Looks like I need to buy an HP Printer. Oh, and BTW, the felix procedure
    is extremely well constructed, and very clear, but it also does not work for me.

8. Carmen1 macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2006
    MP170 printing on PC land from Mac

I have contacted the Printfab folks, and I have discovered that they
    have omitted the MP170, but they corrected that omission almost

The later download from Printfab works on the MP170 on a PC from a
    mac on the LAN.