Network Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by whrldtrvlr, Nov 8, 2004.

1. whrldtrvlr macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    I recently purchased a NetGear FS605 router for my home network. Problem is that only one port coming out of the router ever works at any given time. Here's how I have it set up: Cable Modem (running RoadRunner) -> Router -> Port 2 goes to PowerMac G5 and Port 3 goes to Airport Extreme Base Station
    So in short, either my Base Station network works, or my G5 works. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm at wits end.

Oh, and I've tried resetting everything already but no luck.
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    From what I can see the Netgear FS605 is a switch, not a router. What this means is that you are only splitting up the single connection to your cable modem. To get this to work, you need to purchase an actual router that will provide internal IP addresses to your network and serve out to the single IP address given to you by your ISP.

If you want to stick with Netgear, look into something like the RP614.
  3. whrldtrvlr thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    Thank you and one more question

I kind of get what you are saying. This had been my fear from the begining but as I'm new to networking had no idea how to check into this before hand. Guess I should have posted here! My question still is if I do pick up a router, do I no longer need the switch? I'm guessing I just need a router, but I want to be sure this time. Thank you so much for your help...I have very little hair left to pull out!

Oh, and I don't need to stick with Netgear. I just need something cheap that works well in a small network situation.
  4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  5. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    If you get a router with 4 or so ports, which is fairly common, you won't need the switch, but you could also buy a 1 port router (though they may be harder to find) for less, and connect your switch to that one to get the ports you need. Either way will work, but the 4-port router (like a Linksys BEFSR41) will be cleaner, and one less thing to troubleshoot.

Or combine everything and get a 4-port wireless router, like the Linksys WRT54G.

Edit: kingjr beat me to it.
  6. whrldtrvlr thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    Thanks Again!

Well, you've given me some good options to look into. Like I said, I'm new to networking and didn't even know I had options! Thanks for all of your help.
  7. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    You already have a router (the Airport). Connect the Airport to your cable modem (using WAN port), then connect your switch (the netgear) to the LAN port on the Airport.