Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I'm on my Powermac right now and I have a Airport Extreme base and card, and I also have a router which I am also connected to. Which one does the powermac use?: the Airport card or the built-in ethernet??

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Do you have an Ethernet cable running from the Power Mac to the router? If so, it sounds like you can use the built-in Ethernet port for Internet access and that you don't need to use the Airport at all. Are there other Macs that will share this same router for Internet access?

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Okay well..the Apple Airport Card was built in...But I left it on beceause i print via the airport extreme base...but i'm wondering...When the Airport is on, and I am also connected to the internet via Ethernet, which one does it uses??

ALSO!!!!:
I have the airport extreme connected to the router...now my powerbook's airport won't work...anybody know why?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
In Jaguar (are you using Panther instead?), in the Network pane of System Preferences, the Show: drop-down menu lets you pick Network Port Configurations, where you can put your network configurations in the order you want them tried when connecting to a network. That's also where you define new network configurations. Do you have one for the Built-in Ethernet and one for the AirPort interface?

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Look at what your default gateway is set too. You can also do a tracert to see which gateway you go to as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.