Network question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by SpaceyGirl, Oct 30, 2003.

1. SpaceyGirl macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Macs and am trying to learn as much as I can. I recently noticed that when you click on the Macintosh HD icon on my PowerBook, it has Network and Macintosh HD in the left hand side of the window.

My question is that I never noticed that next to Network there is an eject icon. When I click on Network, it goes to servers, and then after that it goes to blah-blah-computer.local.

Now my question is I have no idea what that is...I never noticed it before last night. Is there a way to get rid of it? Is it necessary to have? What and why is that there? Is it using up space on my hard drive?

Sorry to be such a newbie...but it's my first Mac and I don't know many Mac gurus except for those here. Please help me understand what this Network thing is.
  2. iPC macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2003
    East Windsor, CT
    change preferences in finder

1. Go to the finder
    2. Go to preferences
    3. Select Sidebar
    4. Uncheck Network

It is not taking up space on your hard drive. It is just a link to other area.
  3. SpaceyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Oh okie I gotcha....thank you for explaining.

Now I have another question is why would there be an eject icon there? What am I "ejecting"? I've hit that button and it's done nothing.