Network Servers, Keychain in Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alset, Jan 21, 2004.

1. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    In Jag we could easily add a keychain to a networked machine from the Connect window. Panther has removed all traces of logging a password for network machines. I checked this article on Knowledge Base and it implied that keychains worked as before, but it didn't match my results. Maybe I am missing something?

I also tried manually adding a keychain to afp://<local ip> and it looked right in the Keychain Access app, but didn't work when trying to connect. I made certain that Keychain Access is set not to confirm use of the keychain, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

This is a real problem, as I am trying to automate daily backups across the network via a cronjob and a backup app. The app supports keychain access, but hangs waiting for it to activate to no avail.

Does anyone know how to add a keychain to a networked machine in Panther?

Thanks in advance!

2. bish73 macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2004
    Found this on the forums:

That option is still there. Finder > Go > Connect to Server (apple - k) then enter the IP address you want to connect to or hit browse. At the box where you enter your username and password hit Options... abd check Add password to keychain. I have aliases to all the volumes on my partners powerbook and I just double click the alias and bang its sitting on my desktop. An interesting thing I've noticed lately is that although I can connect to the root volume and 1 home folder at the same time, I cannot connect to more than one home folder at a time.

Seems to work but ONLY if you enter the IP address of the machine you are connecting to, NOT by chossing browse.