Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
I have an additional problem to my Belkin Wireless issue now.

I cannot get my Powerbook to connect to the net at all now. I need to connect to my network via the Belkin router now but when I set it to connect "using DHCP" it puts in its own IP when it should just stick to the one the router needs. However then when I enter it all manually the network status goes green but doesnt connect to the net.

This is really doing my nut now. :(

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Well I think the problem must be with the router. Are you sure the router is setup correctly to connect to the net? Sometimes it's just how the router gets online that causes teh problem. You will probably need to go into teh router settings and fix the connection settings.

As for DHCP, set both the mac and the router to DHCP settings and include a range for the router to make.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I know this sounds silly, but I racked my brain for hours the other week trying to figure out why my friend wasn't getting an internet connection from his wireless router when his network was available - SSID broadcasting and everything.

Turns out the idiot cable guy screwed up the wiring to the router, realized it, and just ended up plugging the main computer directly into the cable modem bypassing the router. The router was on, but the cables were in the wrong ports. Try checking your cables first.

If everything's set up properly, try power recycling everything, and going through the router's network wizard again. Make sure it is dishing out IPs via DHCP. So manually fixing an IP address to the powerbook doesn't work?

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Cheers for the reply guys. The router works fine because my iMac is on it and it is picking it up fine wirelessly and wired. My powerbook wont even connect to the net plugged directly into the cable modem now which is really baffling me. I checked the cables and they are ok. How do you power cycle? Oh and I did a ping test and the router seemed to be pinging back so I'm not sure what thats about.

I cant even do the cd install for the router on the powerbook because it gets to the first stage and says it cant connect to the router. The weird thing about that is it was connecting throught teh router fine two days ago... it wont even register the wireless connection I've put out from my iMac now which it was doing fine yesterday. It's all very confusing. :confused:

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
SORTED 1 PROBLEM!:

Found that the router was switching back to DHCP mode off for no reason. I've managed to change it now so its on and the router is detecting my powerbook again. This is really odd as my iMac has been online all this time. :eek:

Sorry about that. Now I just need to figure out why my powerbook wont connect wirelessly to the router. Any ideas on this anyone?

Thanks for your help!

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
ruzzian said:
SORTED 1 PROBLEM!:

Found that the router was switching back to DHCP mode off for no reason. I've managed to change it now so its on and the router is detecting my powerbook again. This is really odd as my iMac has been online all this time. :eek:

Sorry about that. Now I just need to figure out why my powerbook wont connect wirelessly to the router. Any ideas on this anyone?

Thanks for your help!

Check if the problem is maybe with the powerbook itself, to do this test on another router and test another computer with the router

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Check if the problem is maybe with the powerbook itself, to do this test on another router and test another computer with the router

Here is the info on the wireless situation:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/259284/

Its a strange one because the powerbook connects fine to my wireless at work but not on my own router and my iMac connects fine (wirelessly) to my router so I cant work out if the problem is with the powerbook or the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.