Network Sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by semaja2, Jan 5, 2006.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys is there a way to make it so when i plug my ibook onto a LAN connection it connects to my Windows machine and somehow transfers sound through to network onto the windows machine then out to the speakers. I ask becuase having to plug in a sound cable everytime i go to plug my ibook on the desk

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

get a splitter cable for your speakers (3.5 mm male and 2 females) and a male to male 3.5 mm extension. This assume that your speakers have a female connection to connect to your computer.

also, not that the over the lan would be hard because network latency will drag out the sound response time a few seconds.

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks anyway, i thought it would be good becuase it really sucks having to plug in all sorts of cables when i get home and plug it in

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

You might try downloading Remote Desktop Connection and getting on your iBook's iTunes shared library from the Windows machine. An ugly situation, but it might do.

Fink or Darwinports will no doubt have a commandline mp3 player whose output could probably be ssh'ed to Windows. Not sure, never done it with sound.

The only solutions I'm aware of don't have Windows at the receiving end. I think I'm missing something though.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i just plug everything into a stereo receiver then i just change the input to the receiver with a remote.