Network Storage and Airport

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wkhahn, May 5, 2006.

1. wkhahn macrumors member

wkhahn

I'm looking to buy an external drive for media storage (music, movies, photos) but my primary (only) computer is a G3 iBook. I would like to not have to sit down and break out a firewire or USB drive everytime I want to do something with some of these files (email photos, edit a movie, rip a CD). So my question is this: Is there any type of External HD that I can hook up to airport? The drive would connent to Airport wirelessly, and I would be able to read and write files to it.

If not, how could I accomplish the same effect? Cable modem -> switch; switch -> airport and switch -> external drive?

All suggestions appreciated.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

There are a couple of ways to go about it.
    Before I start, if your using 802.11g, your going to take in speed.

• Protocol and throughput
      802.11b - 11Mbps at 2.4Ghz
      802.11g - 54Mbps at 2.4Ghz
      802.11n - 150Mbps at 2.4Ghz (just comming out)
      standard ethernet - 10Mbps
      fast ethernet - 100Mbps
      gigabit ethernet - 1000Mbps
      USB 1.1 - 12Mbps
      USB 2.x - 480Mbps
      FW400 - 400Mbps
      FW800 - 800Mbps

Given the facts are therotical maximums, and 1 megabit (Mb) = .125 megabyets (MB)

So think about it. Is the convenience worth the slow down. For you the convenience may be worth it. Fast Wireless is on it's way, but it isn't so common yet.

So there are a couple of way to do this.
    1.) Get a wireless router and combine it with an external drive that has an Ethernet connection.
    Example AirportExpress + Lacie Ethernet Drive.
    2.) Get a combined HD with a wireless access point.
    Maxtor+LinkSys and Ausstech articles. I thought I found a drive a while ago, but I can find it now.
    3.) Get an old mac(or PC if you must) with a wifi card and add Firewire or USB drives. Example, Cheapo Computer + drives. No links
    [/LIST]

Note: Super high levels of security wireless security, radio interference, and local area alien activity will also slow your wireless transfer rate down.