Network Switch for iMac Lab

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cwright, Sep 3, 2004.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

I'm shopping for a new network switch for the yearbook/newspaper iMac lab at my school. We have 16 iMacs: a couple tray loading, mostly slot loading and two 17" flat panels. We have also just ordered an iMac G5. We also have two 15" Powerbooks and 4 iBooks on an airport network.

Our network switch is causing many problems. The newspaper advisor says the switch we are using now is several years old and needs to be replaced. Can anyone suggest a switch that will be able to manage all of these computers? The current switch is connected to a SNAP! server, and as much as I'd like to get an Xserve, they can't afford to upgrade the server, just the switch.

I've found a LinkSys switch (model SRW224) that is a 24 port 10/100 switch with an additional two 10/100/1000 ports. I thought this might work well since we only have two computers on the network that support gigabit ethernet (the 17" flat panels). Will this model suit our needs? I've read some reviews saying that LinkSys makes crappy switches. Is that true? Is there another good brand/model of switch that would work better for us?

That LinkSys switch appears to be going for around $300, and thats about all we can spend. He may consider something up to the $400 mark though.

Sorry for such a longwinded post and so many questions... thanks for your help! :D

2. Stevp1 macrumors regular

I've had good luck with the Dell Poweredge. May be a little pricey for you, but good quality. Linksys is now owned by Cisco, so I would like to believe that their stuff has improved a little. Switches are one of those things you don't want to skimp on.

3. iNetwork macrumors member

Uplink ports

Any standard 10/100 switch could do. I would recommend cisco eqipment. For approx $525 you can get a 24 port switch from them. If you decide to go cheaper you can always buy the Dell switches, but they won't be as reliable--but they are cheap. Any name brand switch will do fine, including the linksys. Is this "lab" being connected to the rest of the school's network or is it standalone?
    blw