network troubles...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bashypack, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Bashypack macrumors newbie

Hi - Every time I connect wirelessly to an external hard drive it opens up but as soon as I do anything with the contents it disappears!

I can connect to my home PCs no problem and the PC can maintain a connection to the hard drive but not my beloved Mac (iMac 10.4.8)

Any help very gratefully received!

Matt

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

How is the Harddrive your connected to formatted? Fat32 or NTSC?

3. Bashypack thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Talk us through your set up a little bit. How is the hard drive connected to the network? Is it a network drive (generally an ethernet connection) or a regular external drive going through a switch or router (generally a USB or Firewire connection)? What brand is the drive and case? :)

5. Bashypack thread starter macrumors newbie

The hard drive is connected via wireless ethernet bridge - it is a Cambridge 640H which can connect to and from both Mac and PC - it can happily scan my Mac and initially when I go to server type in IP address I can connect to it - see its contents - then suddenly it just disappears - I go through the process of connecting again and get the message that it is already connected although I cannot find the connection on the Mac anywhere.

I can connct to it and modify contents from the PC connection no problem so I am guessing it is a Mac setting somewhere.

....I think that covers the information you asked for ........

Thanks again for your interest and assistance!

6. Bashypack thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - I have made sure it is up to date and have read and re read the guidelines so can only assume it is a Mac glitch - Is there anyway of seeing what is connected to my Mac or getting an overview of my network - if from the finder I GO then NETWORK - nothing actually happens so then I move on to connect to server ... I am sure in OS9 the network browser would show me what was available to connect to etc but I don't seem to have the functionality with OSX - I wouldn't be surprised if it is the way I have setup my system - it seems to be more luck than judgement!

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, you can check the Volumes under the Network title in System Profiler to see if it's been recognised as connected. Did you set up the optional static IP address? Can you ping the hard drive? Is file sharing enabled on the Mac? Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully we can get this sorted soon. :)

8. Bashypack thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - Thank you for all the questions you are being very thorough which is much appreciated! I have not connected via static IP but can endeavour to try - Yes I can ping successfully and yes file sharing is enabled on the Mac.

When I checked through Volumes this is the messgae I get in case it means something to you!

192.168.0.5:

Type: smbfs
    Mount Point: /Volumes/192.168.0.5
    Mounted From: //NODOMAIN;MATT@192.168.0.5/MEDIA
    Automounted: No

As always your help is very very much appreciated.

Matt

9. Bashypack thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know if this is relevant but have just remembered I am using sharepoints in order for the 2 to connect....

Matt

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, create a new user account and try connecting purely through the Finder. If this works then Sharepoints might be your problem. :)

11. Bashypack thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the delay - I have been away from system - ok I have set static IP address - I can ping it - when I attempt to connect to the server it all comes up - I open a couple of files.. and whoosh it disappears - I have checked in Volumes and it appears 192.168.0.5:

Type: smbfs
    Mount Point: /Volumes/192.168.0.5
    Mounted From: //NODOMAIN;MATT@192.168.0.5/MEDIA
    Automounted: No

yet I just can't find it on my Mac - please help!!!

Thanks