Networking 2 macs with what I already have

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevey500, Aug 3, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Okay I have a digital audio G4 and a new mac mini, I want them both networked to the internet, i have a network cable running from our router from the other side of the house into my G4 tower, but is there a way I could possible be able to install a PCI Network Everywhere 10/100 PCI card in my G4 tower with some 3rd party software that I dont know of and share my network connection through that? If there is no 3rd party drivers for that card is there a way I could network through USB or something :cool:
    Thanks PS: I also have a D-Link DwL-120 Wireless G 54mbps USB card that I cannot get to work with the mini either, this sucks, is there 3rd party drivers yet available for tiger for that yet?

2. RupertJ macrumors newbie

If you've got a firewire cable lying around you can use them to network the two very easily - no extra hardware or software required.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The easiest solution is to spend $30 on a 4 port Ethernet hub and use that to split the connection from the router in your Mac room.

Second solution is to bring another ethernet cable in from the main router -- this is admittedly easier in some houses than others -- moral of the story is that it's relatively easy and cheap to pull 2 cables instead of one when you are installing a network, so as to accommodate future growth.