Networking 2 macs with what I already have

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevey500, Aug 3, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Huntington, Utah
    Okay I have a digital audio G4 and a new mac mini, I want them both networked to the internet, i have a network cable running from our router from the other side of the house into my G4 tower, but is there a way I could possible be able to install a PCI Network Everywhere 10/100 PCI card in my G4 tower with some 3rd party software that I dont know of and share my network connection through that? If there is no 3rd party drivers for that card is there a way I could network through USB or something :cool:
    Thanks PS: I also have a D-Link DwL-120 Wireless G 54mbps USB card that I cannot get to work with the mini either, this sucks, is there 3rd party drivers yet available for tiger for that yet?
  2. RupertJ macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2004
    Bristol, UK
    If you've got a firewire cable lying around you can use them to network the two very easily - no extra hardware or software required.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The easiest solution is to spend $30 on a 4 port Ethernet hub and use that to split the connection from the router in your Mac room.

Second solution is to bring another ethernet cable in from the main router -- this is admittedly easier in some houses than others -- moral of the story is that it's relatively easy and cheap to pull 2 cables instead of one when you are installing a network, so as to accommodate future growth.