Networking 9.1 <-> 10.3.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is probably been asked and answered before, I did a quick search but didn't find anything :(

My brother's just bought a 603 running OS 9.1. I'd like to network it with my OS 10.3.3 computer (just simple file sharing). I've got no idea what to do!

I've made a shared folder on the 9 computer, but I don't know how to connect to it from X. If I click the Network icon in the sidebar, the OS 9 machine doesn't show up. I've also tried rebooting my computer into 9.2.2 and running the Network Browser, but I don't see it there either.

Both computers have names and passwords. So what am I doing wrong? Or, more likely, what steps have I left out?

Edit: I suppose I should mention that this is my first experience with networking two Macs. So, assume that I know nothing :)

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I've found that networking 9 and X is a nightmare. On our network, we have 2 OS X machines and 3 OS 9 machines, with internet sharing. It's been difficult to get it working as well as it is now, but there are still problems, eg one OS 9 machine can't see any OS X machines.

Firstly on the OS 9 machine, go to Control Panels, then AppleTalk, and set it to connect via ethernet. Then go to File Sharing, and click start in the file sharing section. Then click on the 'Users & Groups' tab, and add yourself as a user. For simplicity, use the same username and password as you do on your computer. Alternatively you can use the OS 9 compter's name and password for full access instead, in which case ignore the next paragraph.

Then for the folders you'll have access to, get info, select Sharing from the popup menu, untick 'Use enclosing folder's privelages', and select yourself under User/group. Set the access to this as read and write.

On the OS X machine, go to System Preferences-> Network-> Show popup menu->Built-in Ethernet->AppleTalk, and tick 'Make AppleTalk Active'. In the Ethernet tab it should be set to automatically. Go to Sharing preferences->Services-> tick 'Personal File Sharing'.

Hopefully this will get it going. I've found that in Panther (10.3.2) OS 9 volumes don't always appear when browsing the network, but at another time they might, regardless of settings. I'm not sure if 10.3.3 has improved on this.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well I'm perfectly happy to boot my OS X machine into 9.2.2 if necessary,

I'll try what you've said a bit later on. Thanks for your help.

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

If both machines are ethernet capable then get a small hub and go that route. Simply go to the Chooser (OS 9) to Apple Talk and you should be able to mount the other mac to it. On the other hand in preferences on OS X in Network settings it should handle it. I use ethernet on my G3 with a 5 port hub and have 2 printers my Road Runner cable modem and a Quadra 650 all hooked together. :cool:

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Aha! Got it going :)

The trick was to enable AppleTalk on the OS X computer. I had no idea that you had to do that.