Networking a Mac (OSX10.2.6) and a PC (WinXP)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Schiffi, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I have a Lan/ethernet card thing on both computers and an ethernet cable. I want to hook both computers up and create a 2-computer network (probably just to play Quake3A). Or would it be easier to use a firewire cable?

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

use the network cable rj45 cat5 pay attention it is crossover

3. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

It either has to be a crossover cable, usually yellow, or you could hook them up through a hub

4. physicsnerd macrumors member

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Well you did not mention what computer you have. But, most ethernet cards in current / recent macs are autosensing + therefore allow you to use a straight through cable to connect two computers together without the need for a seperate crossover cable.

6. andyduncan macrumors regular

With regards to Ethernet Vs Firewire, ethernet is probably easier, if only because there will be more people to help you when something goes wrong.

As far as Quake 3 performance, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference. Quake doesn't push a lot of data, it's more dependent on latency. I've never used IP over Firewire, but I imagine the difference in latency between it and ethernet are negligible for something like quake.

7. Schiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I know the cable will work.
    Mac: TiBook 1Ghz
    PC: Intel 815 mobo w/ built-in Lan(winXP).

Now, will all I have to do is hook them together, or do I need to mess with setting? I have never used the PC on a network so I don't know if it is automated.

8. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Networking under windows xp should be as easy as pluging in the cable and switching on it should automaticly go oh theres another computer here would you like to use the network wizard ...

as for osx i dont know anything about it but i do know that windows and osx work well together the latter been the better ..