Networking a PC and a Macbook via BT Home Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andy007, Jan 5, 2007.

1. andy007 macrumors regular

I was wondering if there was a way of file transfering (such as mp3's, word documents etc) from my mac to my pc through the bt home hub? My macbook (using OSX 10.4.8) connects to my bt home hub through a wireless connection and my pc (xp) connects through an ethernet cable to the home hub. both use this to connect to the internet.

So could i wirelesly connect to my pc via the home hub to transfer files and vice versa?? Has anyone else tried to do this? If so could someone provide me with instructions of how to do it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. andy007 thread starter macrumors regular

i have done the networking above between a pc and a mac before with just a cat5 cable connection, but this method does not seem to work when i am going via the bt home hub.

it recognises both computers are connected to it, but i just cant seem to find how to connect to the other via the hub and enable the file sharing.

has anyone else tried this on the bt home hub? I think there only available in th UK.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, check that you have the same subnet mask on each machine. They may be different if one is wired and one is wireless. :)

5. andy007 thread starter macrumors regular

they both have the same subnet mask and the ip address are assigned correctly.

i have checked windows file sharing is enabled in osx. still no luck, which seems strange why i still can not connect.

i have tried connecting via finder by going to connect server and typing the ip address in there but i get this message

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I hate that error so much! It's just so vague, and OSX throws it out there for such a huge variety of reasons.

From the PC, what happens when you try accessing the Mac from the Run dialogue box? Any error messages? :)

7. andy007 thread starter macrumors regular

from the pc it just tries to connect for ages and then says unable to connect. no error messages.

EDIT: i have fixed the problem. the router automatically assigned a ip address which it kept changing for some reason. i decided to assign the ip address manually and now it works fine. Thanks for the replies :)