Networking a PC & MAC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sky, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Sky macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a wireless network setup between a couple of PCs at home. I recently bought an iBook and I would like to transfer some files from the PC to the iBook.

The Airport Extreme Card is all setup already as I am able to access the Internet on the iBook through the wireless network but I am uncertain as to how to proceed about transferring files.

Are there other options besides going wireless? Would I be able to use a Firewire cable between the two computers?

Thank you for your help,

Loic

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: Networking a PC & MAC

Why not use a Cat-5 ethernet cable? If you want to transfer only occasionally, you don't even have to leave it plugged in. Just set up the windows networking feature and transfer away.

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Re: Networking a PC & MAC

I'm not sure about FireWire. I've tried that between two Macs, but not a Mac and a PC.

Connecting an Ethernet cable between the two computers (or to an Ethernet switch) would certainly speed things up, but this shouldn't matter assuming you're not transferring a LOT of files...otherwise, you could be sitting there for a while.

Not sure how networking savvy you are so I don't want to get too in depth. The easiest thing for you to do is as follows:

On your Mac, go to System Preferences and click on "Sharing." Check the box that says "Windows Sharing." Once you check that off, it'll say at the bottom something among the lines of "Windows users can access your computer at \\192.168.1.100\{username}." Go to your PC, go to the Start Menu, click "Run," and type that address in. It'll prompt you for your Mac username and password (the same that you use to log into the computer). Assuming you enter it correctly, Windows will then open up a Window showing your home folder. You'll be able to transfer files from it to the PC and vice versa. It's really easy and works well...I use this at work all the time to transfer stuff from my Powerbook to my Dell desktop.

Good luck!

4. Sky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies. MattG, I tried what you described and it worked flawlessly, it's amazing how quick and painless it is.
    I love my new iBook!! Like you, I also have a Dell desktop...

Thanks again,

Loic
    :)

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Glad it worked!

Doing it the other way around (connecting to your PC from your Mac) can be kinda painful sometimes. I always recommend going this route :)

6. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I'm so glad that I read this thread, because this was my problem too, and MattG solved it..
    we all love you Matt! :p

now I have two questions, I only can see Users/Home User folder on my PC, nothing more.. but I would want to share whole drive instead of just one directory.. is there a possible way?

How can I see the folders of my PC on my Mac? you say it is painful but I am a bit mazosist! :)

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Honestly, I don't remember. It's been a while since I've done it, and I can't try it right now because I don't have a PC here! I'll try it at work tomorrow.

8. the Natetrix macrumors member

I tried Matty's way (im running on 10.2.8 and on Windows 98 both are linked through a linksys router) and after run it asks for my password to the mac, but when I put adm password in it declines it. :( any ideas as to why?

I have on my mac under sharing in the prefs
    Windows File Sharing
    Personal File Sharing
    Printer sharing
    and remote login

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I had this problem so I logged in the following way. Assuming the hostname of your Macintosh is 'mac', and username is 'user':

Username = mac\user
    Password = <whatever your password is>

10. the Natetrix macrumors member

well here's the thing, it's not even asking me for a username. Just a Password