Networking across relatively large, open spaces

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by thomasp, Sep 18, 2004.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

In the near future, we are likely to be getting broadband, and with this, a mini computer network (so as our 3 macs can connect to the internet).

However, one mac (my iMac) is about 20 metres (65 feet) away from where the broadband box/ethernet hub (combined) will be. This gap is between two buildings, and is outside, near some 240V overhead power lines.

Due to the power lines, the only option for linking the iMac to the hub and other two macs is by wireless networking. However, none of the macs are AirPort ready, and it isn't really worth the expense getting AirPort fitted to the iMac (if such a thing is possible!).

Does anyone know of any decent wireless ethernet bridges or similar devices that would allow us to bridge this gap?

Thanks for your help :)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, Airport is a more expensive option, especially the iMac is an old one - they require an extra adaptor. Instead, try getting a wireless USB adaptor... it's an 802.11b device that plugs in by USB. i think they're $20-30 now, so you could get one for each machine. Or, just two to bridge the gap, and use ethernet to connect the third machine to one of the two wireless ones. I think you'll still be able to network fully that way...

paul

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply paul.

I've found on the net a Linksys Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Do these have an adapter that plugs into either the USB port or ethernet port on the computer, so as you can send data to the bridge?

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The Linksys WET11 works pretty well for linking any computer with an ethernet port to a wireless network. They are relatively cheap, $69.99 at Amazon.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've found that product on Amazon UK, and it seems to be a pretty good deal.

I can't seem to find any info on how you connect it up in your network (I've looked on the Linksys website, and other places). I assume you plug the WET11 into the ethernet hub/broadband box, but how does the computer receive/send data from/to the bridge?

Thanks for the help