Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I've searched around but I haven't found anything really useful... I need to get my AirPort network sorted out.

Right now I have a DSL Modem going to an AirPort Express (connected to a printer and speakers) then going to an iMac w/AirPort Card (original) and PC running Windows XP SP2.

Things I need to be able to do on both computers:

- Internet Browsing
- Pop E-mail
- AirTunes
- Gnutella p2p
- File Transfers between computers

Things I need to be able to do on the iMac:

- Multiple BitTorrent downloads
- E-mail (gmail, .mac, pop)
- .Mac Syncing

Now all this should be pretty easy but the port forwarding is confusing me. Ideally I would like the Express to open the ports I have open in OS X's Firewall. Or possibly bypass the NAT completely. I know I could go into the AirPort Utility and open them from there (which is what i have done to date) but I recently did a hardware reset and forgot to export all the ports. It is a real pain entering them all in again when the IP defaults to 10.0.1.201... There has to be an easier way! This is Apple!

The other thing is transferring files between the computers. Right now I have it setup with windows sharing turned on for all users and sharing folders on the Windows end for conveniences sake. I would like this to be more secure but also keep the convenience factor. What is the most elegant solution?

Also my connection to the Express has been crapping out a lot lately. I am using the latest software and firmware and the connection is strong... any ideas?

Thanks!

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Airport Express

Geez dude.

Sorry to hear about the problems.

I'm just cruzing around trying to find some information about th eairport express. I really want one, but it would be awesome if it could do video too, now that I have front row.

I think I'll try and find that thread, there should be one already.

Good luck though
Nicko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.