Networking between 2 Macs on the same modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jive, Nov 4, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

So, I'm at uni and I have an iMac and a MBP. They are both connected to the same modem which in turn is connected to the ethernet port thingy in my wall >_>

How do I go about being able to see what's on the other computer - I got it to work when I used a direct ethernet cable between them but that'll be a hassle just to share 2 or 3 files...

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

What kind of modem is it? How are they both connected? Does the modem have three ethernet ports all together?

You may need a router - but if they are both connected, they should be seen. It seems like your modem should be acting as a router. What kind of macs are they? They should at least have an ad hoc wireless connection to eachother if you wanted to.

3. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I meant router. It has 2 inputs and 6 outputs. The rooms internet socket is connected to the input and my Rev a Intel iMac is connected to one of th outputs and my 15" MBP is connected through another. They are both able to access the internet simultaneously.

I can create a bluetooth file transfer between them but that's uber slow >_>