Networking - Cannot eject/unmount CIFS server

Discussion in 'OS X' started by myrtillerose, Jul 6, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I am rather new to Macs, especially when it comes to networking. Recently, I was trying to set up a network between my Mac and my Windows PC... I gave up on that (I see that there is a very useful thread of this forum about that!). However, I was left with a "CIFS" server on my desktop that will not allow me to eject it because it says that it is "in use." Does anyone know how I can get rid of it? If you need any more information about my problem, just reply and I will try my best to answer it. Thank you very much in advance!

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

A log out then back in or a restart will usually force shares that refuse to unmount to unmount.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

See, that's the first thing I thought of. I've done it many times but the CIFS is still there :( Thanks for your reply!

The exact message that comes up is "The disk "CIFS" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try again.

4. Retired

psychofreak

Open NetInfo Manager, log in as root, and eject it :)

This is the thread that I made (now with solution) when I had this problem...

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

That is weird. Try force-quitting the Finder - this is one way to force-refresh things that otherwise refuse to refresh. Also, make sure you don't have other applications open - it's possible that you have something open (perhaps in the background) using a file on that share.

Do you have Google Desktop installed, by any chance? If you do try turning its indexing off temporarily.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much everyone! Using the NetInfo Manager to enable root user and then Terminal to get rid of Sharity3 was the trick. Good thing there are people out there who know Macs better than me. Maybe I'll get to their level someday ;) Thanks alot for your help. Take care.