Networking - "daisy chain" routers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by realityisterror, Apr 10, 2006.

1. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Simple question hopefully.
    My house is pretty big and the WiFi reception upstairs sucks. I'm in a situation where I can't move my current router (DI-614+ Dlink 802.11b).
    If I buy another router and attach it to the old one (the ethernet runs through the walls so it would be pretty far away) putting the LAN on one into the WAN on the extra, will I be able to connect through the second router?

(I tried to search, but had no idea what terms to use)
    Thanks in advance,
    reality

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Yes it will work, but if you want the computers on router A, to be able to connect to the computers on Router B you should connect the routers together through the LAN ports. And also disable DHCP on the second router.

3. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Ok, thanks, but...

If I disable DHCP on the second router (not connected to the internet) how will I deal with those computers...?
    Do I set my computer to "Using DHCP with manual address" or "manually"?

thanks

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Computers connected to the second router will get their IP addresses from the first routers DHCP server, so it would still be automatic.
    I have this same setup at my home where the cable modem and router is in my basement and I have a router in my room connected to the wall jack that I use as a switch.

5. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

One more quick question:

If I have both of the routers set to broadcast under the same SSID, would it be one seamless network, or two with the same name? Also, one is 802.11b and the other will likely be 802.11g, so I'd be reduced to only b speeds, correct?

This is mostly just curiosity as I'd only use the secondary router as a wireless.

Thanks again
    reality

6. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

What you are referring to is a WDS network (Wireless Distribution System) but it does not work buy having the same SSID's. Computers connecting to the routers will just get confused because there are 2 networks of the same name. Having a WDS requires routers that support it. The only routers I know that support this are the airport base stations.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

There are others out there. I bet the WRT54G has someone who has created a version of firmware for it that has WDS, as there are alot of version out there for free for that router.

EDIT: this version has WDS for the WRT54G http://www.sveasoft.com/

8. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Keep in mind only old versions of this router support 3rd party firmware, bue to linksys switching from Linux to Vxworks. If you do want to run 3rd party firmware on your router make sure you get an old version of this router >v4. Or you can buy the WRT54GL.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No need for another router (although they tend to be a little cheaper). Just pick up a wireless range extender. While you don't need one that supports 54g, its better to future proof your network...

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=252065

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I'd avoid giving any money to Sveasoft given their practices... FWIW I'm using Open WRT on a WRT54G V4 in WAP mode, though I have yet to get it to actually work with WDS and my Airport Express.

Another way to go for the OP would be to just get a WAP (wireless access point) instead of a router for the internal node to avoid any WAN/LAN issues. Use a different SSID and Channel and the two networks would keep out of each other's way.

B

12. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Thanks for the extra replies.

I had planned on getting a router because:
    1) They are cheaper than "range extenders"
    2) My old router (2 years) is only 11b
    3) My neighbor has an "old" (6 months maybe) router that "isn't good enough" anymore (their rather affluent) that I'm going to get from him for free or cheap.

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into DHCP problems with having a second router, and it seems I should be OK.

reality

13. HugMnster macrumors member

you will be ok as long as you turn off the dhcp stuff in the second router. Like earlier poster said the first router will hand out address to machines connected to second router when it sees the request.