Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Sorry if this has come up before but I couldnt find exactly on search.

My sister is getting an iBook today (my 2nd switcher BTW!) and I want to connect it cheaply to my eMac so that the iBook can use the printer and ADSL internet.

I've got a USB printer, and my broadband is connected using a USB modem connected over PPPoE. Is it possible to share that?

I was looking into getting a 'crossover' cable- is that right?

Networking something I know next to nothing about :confused:

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
It should be possible. The eMac will have to be on in order for the iBook to be able to access the internet, though. Basically, you get the eMac connected to the internet like normal, then once it is, go to System Preferences --> Sharing --> Internet and turn Internet Sharing on (on the eMac). Then connect the iBook to the eMac with an ethernet cable (it can be either a crossover cable or a regular cable) and make sure the iBook is set to use DHCP (System Preferences --> Network --> Built-In Ethernet --> Configure --> Using DHCP).

For the printer sharing, on the eMac, go to System Preferences --> Sharing and turn on Printer Sharing. Now whenever you do a File --> Print on the iBook, you should be able to select the printer in the dialog box that comes up.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
alex_ant said:
It should be possible. The eMac will have to be on in order for the iBook to be able to access the internet, though. Basically, you get the eMac connected to the internet like normal, then once it is, go to System Preferences --> Sharing --> Internet and turn Internet Sharing on (on the eMac). Then connect the iBook to the eMac with an ethernet cable (it can be either a crossover cable or a regular cable) and make sure the iBook is set to use DHCP (System Preferences --> Network --> Built-In Ethernet --> Configure --> Using DHCP).

For the printer sharing, on the eMac, go to System Preferences --> Sharing and turn on Printer Sharing. Now whenever you do a File --> Print on the iBook, you should be able to select the printer in the dialog box that comes up.

I'll try that. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.