Networking Help for a Newbie...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonDawg18, Oct 8, 2006.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Guys,

I need your help on a networking problem…

My house is prewired for CAT5. I have RoadRunner Cable Internet. I also have a Belkin Wireless Router and a Motorola Router for Vonage Phone Service.

Right now, I have the system set up like this:

Cable Modem > Belkin Wireless Router > Computer & Motorola Vonage Adapter.

I’m wanting to run the network through the CAT5 input in the walls, but don’t know how to set it up. I’ve tried running an Ethernet cord out of the Belkin Wireless Adapter to the Ethernet input in the wall, but when I plug in a computer/TIVO through another Ethernet jack, it doesn’t connect or recognize the input…

I'd ultimately like my TIVO Dual Tuner to connect to the internet through the ethernet, and I'd like to be able to plug in computers through the ethernet/CAT5 connections in my house...

Any suggestions? I’m a graphic designer, so I’m pretty good with computers, but I really don’t understand networking…

Thanks SO much!

2. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006

I run about the same things, a couple of wireless laptops, wires throughout the house, I have two tivos and a couple PC on the wired part of my network, How many ports does your router have? you are using one for your vonage box, if thats the only one your router has you will need to buy a Hub or Switch, (I run 2 24 port switches) the router will feed the switch, then the vonge box along with the cat5 that runs through your house... Having Tivo wired is a must, the transfer speed is awesome even though the apple doesn't play nice with Tivo yet.... read more about it on my site