Networking help with iMac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BTD, Oct 15, 2005.

1. BTD macrumors newbie

i am looking to hook up a wireless network between my PC and Mac, i was just wondering what people have done and what is the best way to go upon this. I already have a 822.11g belkin routher, I have a iMac G4 and i am running a cable across my living room floor as of now to get internet access.....which isnt really cutting it.

-thanks

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, since you already have a router, you just need to have a wireless card put into your iMac, and your wireless. Then you just need to configure the router so that not all your neighbors are getting in it too. If you have only bought the router and want steps on where to put it in, there should be some directions that came with it, that show you how to set it up and which plugs to put where.

Setting up is really not that hard, its securing the base station like I said above, to keep your neighbors off your connection is the only slightly difficult part that a non geek might have trouble with. But some simple things you can do, is change the default name and password for the router so no one can manipulate your router but you. Setup a WEP key and I would also go as far as hidding the SSID. Once you log into the router and start changing its settinigs, everything I just said will fall into place.

3. BTD thread starter macrumors newbie

any suggestion on what wireless card to buy....?

thanks

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the easiest option would be an AirPort card. What sort of G4 iMac is it? If it's a newer one then you can get an AirPort Extreme card which will be cheaper and faster and available new. If it's an older G4 iMac then you'll need to find an original 802.11B AirPort card (no Extreme in the name, very important distinction). These can only be bought used and are a little more expensive. :(