Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dc0511

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I am the only Mac user in my house. At my father's my wireless and ethernet connections both work completely and totally fine. We are linked through a Linksys wireless router there and the ISP is Comcast.

At my mom's I can only connect to the neighbor's weak signaled wireless networks. I can see my own wireless network and get good signal, but not access to the internet. I will also get a signal that my ethernet cable is plugged in, but still no internet. Her ISP is Optimum Online.

Any ideas?

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
I am the only Mac user in my house. At my father's my wireless and ethernet connections both work completely and totally fine. We are linked through a Linksys wireless router there and the ISP is Comcast.

At my mom's I can only connect to the neighbor's weak signaled wireless networks. I can see my own wireless network and get good signal, but not access to the internet. I will also get a signal that my ethernet cable is plugged in, but still no internet. Her ISP is Optimum Online.

Any ideas?

If this is for a wep connected network, see this thread..
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/263928/

if not, let us know more info on how ur network is set up

actually i just reread ur post, and that may not help. i think there may be something with the configuration of your router. try a direct connection from the modem to ur computer and see if it works. if it doesnt, it is the isp, if it does work than its the router configuration

dc0511

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Seems to be asking for a password. Is there any default password or anything for routers? This is a Linksys as well I believe. I do have the same problems though, all of my XP computers run fine.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
Are you able to connect to her Wi-Fi network? If so, go into your network settings and see if Airport has an IP address and router/gateway listed. Ensure that you are using DHCP. Try to ping the router/gateway address and see if you get a response. See if there is a message in the network status page about Airport having limited connectivity. Also, see if you can access the router configuration page in Safari.

You may want to post screenshots of your Airport and network configuration screens, or describe the way you are hooked up and configured in more detail.

dc0511

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Yes I can connect to her Wi-Fi network and get full signal strength. I just can't do anything that involves connecting to the internet.

2nlx1ep.png

48n3kb8.png

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
You can connect, but DHCP won't assign you an address. It's possible the router has reached the maximum number of DHCP leases. Try logging on to the configuration page (default address is 192.168.1.1) and increase the "Maximum number of DHCP users" setting. Also ensure the DHCP server is turned on. Lastly check whether wireless MAC filtering is turned on. If you can't get into the configuration page from your computer, try from a working computer on the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.