Networking Mac and Windows PC [Split]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Panzo, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

Ive tried about 20 so tutorials including this one, and ive failedm ive tired ifelix and joelshumaker. Ive called Apple just to tell me they cant help me with the Windows box and i called windows just so they could tell me they couldnt help me because the laptop runs mac osx, i called my router company and they told me OMG call your windows or mac ppl to check it out because we dont support filesharing. so then i was like OMG COOKIES. and i cried and smacked my head on drywall a few times.

HELP ME!!!!!

i cant get this filesharing and network printing right i have windows xp professional sp2 and mac osx 10.4.8, this is my last resort i really need some one to walk me trough it, some one who has knowledge and that cant trouble shoot with me... for gods sake im just about to give up on all this, please figure out a way to help out a mac brother in need, ill download any IM program out there as long as we can discuss this and trouble shoot live :( please help :(

2. dcatcha macrumors newbie

I hope this helps

Note Must have Entourage 2004 or higher, must have MAC OS 10.3.x or higher.

How to configure Microsoft’s Entourage to Connect to Exchange 2003
    Luanch Entourage yoiu will need to edit the account I am not sure what menu that is under but the menu option is EDIT Account.

Type in your name and address. Under Server info type in your Windows userid. For domain that would be the domain you windows users log into and then enter you domain password.
    Now click the advaced tab for public folders you will need to type in the HOSTNAME of the Exchange server hosting the Public folders.
    Under Directorty Settings typein the FQDN of the a Window s DC, and check the box tha says This server requires me to log on.

Entourage is now configured to see all Free busy data, and has access to MS GAL information.

In order to connect to a windows server share you can simply type in
    smb://servername/sharename (you would type this in the screen where you selected Connect to Server)

How to Join a MAC to a Windows Domain:

If you are using MAC OS 10.3 there is an Active Directory plug-in under Applications àUtilities or possibly just under Utilities depending upon the OS. Check the Box for Active Directory. Follow the prompts and can join the MAC to windows. Note if you used Group policy to supply SSL certificates your GPO SSL certs will also be installed.

3. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank

thanks for the guide ill try it when i get home but i dont know where my exchange 2003 on my mac os X ...? help

4. dcatcha macrumors newbie

If you just need file access use the SMB://server/share method. To do this open finder then click go and choose connect to server

If you need to join the domain open the finder glick go click utilities, and check active directory check box

Entourage you can connect to POP account. Unless you have and Exchange Email server at home or your ISP is hosting it.... then follow the step above.

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

So....what exactly is wrong? What problems are you running into? Error messages, anything?

6. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

well theres a few once everything is configured same work grou petc the mac deosnt show up in my workgroup network, i cant connec tot windows if i use smb://ip.adress i get a cannot acess server because the name or password is incorrect error, if use the workgroup name i get a file cannot be accessed or read error ill get u the numbers
    No error number for the wrong password
    Error code -36 when i try with smb://PCname/sharedfolder

please help

it be pretty awsome if i coudl add some one on msn or aim and could IM them live while i set it for touble shooting thanks

7. baummer macrumors 6502a

1. Can you SEE (not connect) the PC?

2. Can your PC SEE the Mac?

3. Have you tried smb://IP/ (where IP = the IP address of the PC?)

8. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

grr

well if u mean by the MAC seeing the PC in finder> network then no, if you mean the PC seeing the MAC in Workgroup netowrk then no, and yes ive tried to connect with that string it tells me could not conect because the name or password is not correct

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

are you sure you're putting in the right password and username? if your connecting to the pc from the mac, it's the user account on the pc and the password

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

Firstly, no reason to get frustrated at me or any other fellow Macrumors forumite; we're trying to help you. Ok, so you say you cannot see the Mac from the PC and you cannnot see the PC from the Mac. This suggests that perhaps you're not looking in the right place. SOMETHING is working somewhere for you to receive the Error -36 message. This usually occurs when it can connect to the PC, but the credentials are not correct. These things ARE case-sensitive, so make sure the caps isn't engaged unless it needs to be.

Secondly, as is echoed in the comment above, make sure you're typing the correct user and pass. When trying to connect to the PC, make sure you are using the credentials for the PC. I am not assuming that is the case, but you never know, as is often the case sometimes the simplest of things are ignored.

Thirdly, are you SURE you have followed this tutorial correctly? If you would be so kind, please do the following:

1. Open a new Finder window, click Network

2. Press Apple key + Shift + 4 ; you should see a crosshairs symbol. Hold the mouse button and select the finder window, then press enter. This will place an image on your desktop titled Picture 1.

3. Go to http://www.imgfly.com and upload Picture 1.

4. Copy and paste the link here as either a link or an image so that we can see.

I've subscribed to this topic, so when you reply I will see. I am confident between myself and the rest of the community we can get you connected :).

11. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

firstly sorry i didnt mean it with attitude i just wasnt sure how to check and i was saying if you mean by checking in that way then no,,, didnt mean it in a bad way :( sty and hold on im going to post one now

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2871/picture1rb8.png

the picture is there
    hope it helps for the sake of everyone :(
    thanks once again

12. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

uhm the thread was "split"? ok? i hope everyone can manage to find it

13. baummer macrumors 6502a

Hmm ok. I don't think you have Windows shared properly, or even on the same network. Do you have a router? If Windows was shared properly, you would see a folder called Mshome or Msoffice or whatever you have named the workgroup from Windows.

14. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

oh

i had seen some folder liek that at some point, still no luck trying to access them, would there be a possibility for some help on setting it up on xp, maybe thats where its going wrong, thank you so much

I added you on aim under the screen name HKS Approved