networking my mac and my pc using a router

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by illkillaz, Jan 5, 2005.

1. illkillaz macrumors newbie

I have a cable internet connection at home and i have recently brought a belkin router so that i can shaer my net connection with my pc and my mac. I also wanted to be able to transfer files form 1 machine to another.

Having the shared connection is very simple and took very little time and pain but trying to get my pc to show up as a hard dive on my pc via my belikin 4 port router has been a very big problem.

I have searched many forums and i have found very little in the hope that somone other than me has stumbled across this problem. The closest i got to was my PB seeing my MSHOME share is by pinging my pc adress using the network utility. This makes MSHOME appear one the network list but when i click nothing appears, usually one would see a connect button but i have nothing, no connect button what so ever.

This is starting to become a frustrating and time consuming problem i could do without, i thought it would be fairly eaisy to set up my LAN but i have had no luck. One thing i did find was that my belikn router has got its own ip adress: 192.168.1.2 would this be the reason its not connecting/seeing my pc? And if so is there a way around this?

if you have encounterd a similar pobelm plaes shaer your knowlege to this young novice.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

Its worth a go, but im not promising anything ;) On the mac, go to network preferences. on the airport's TCP/IP tab check that ip address stuff is configured by DHCP (default it is) and in the box called search domains type in MSHOME - or whatever your windows workgroup is called. then go to finder and to network and let it sit there for a minute or so and see if your PC turns up.

Last minute thought... if you have any firewall software on your pc it is bound to be hiding it, try temporarily disabling it, or adding your mac's IP address to its trusted list or something. windows built in firewall wont cause any problems as far as i have seen, but norton and mcafee almost certainly will

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

So the internet is working on both your machines.
    Now how are you connecting to your pc from your mac?
    Did you do Finder-Go-connect to server... and then entered
    smb://<ip of your xp machine>

If you still have any problem there is a very helpful sticky by Kiera, :D,
    here

cheers

4. illkillaz thread starter macrumors newbie