Networking on a budget...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ejb190, Jun 4, 2003.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I like to think of myself as fairly compentent computer user, but when it comes to hardware and networking, I am lost.

So here is what I want to do. I have a 12" PB G4 (OS 10.2), PB G3 266 (Wallstreet), and a Compaq P3 600 (Win XP). All have network cards. I primarly want to set this up for file sharing. (I develop databases on the side and like to check things out on different platforms/versions). Eventually I would like to add a network printer, but that is down the road a bit. There is no internet connection involved.

What hardware/software would be involved in doing this? What mistakes or troubles can you enlighten me about before I make them?

Thanks!

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i think a hub , for normal use , would be enought ( not to forget the ethernet cables thought :D )
    but, if you are going to do some strong network using, i d buy a switch, resp a router, with an integrated switch. If you once will go for a shared internet connection that s the way to go. And, the other major point is you can set up dhcp with many hardware routers.
    has that answered your question ?