Networking os 9 to windows XP???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ben Kei, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (and I'm sure it has!!) but how do you set up a network between os9 and windows XP?

Basically I need to directly connect the two using a cross network cable and it ABSOLUTELY needs to be the two OS's mentioned.

I'm writing some software that allows me to use a fingerprint scanner (in XP) to write music. Basically it converts the information in a persons fingerprint into a piece of music unique to them. The total lack of fingerprint scanners for the MACoS has meant I need to do it networked to a PC. Also it has to be os9 as all the programming has been done in MAX/MSP which will currently not run on OSX and is far too messy running in classic mode.

I've tried pinging the PC from the Mac and running a port scan so I know they recognise each other, also if I break the connection the PC will tell me. I can't get them to file share though...

Any ideas? PLEASE!

Thankyou, Ben Kei

2. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I used a Program called Dave before I got 10.2 I used it to share files between Mac OS 9.1 and Win 2000 and I think Win XP and 2000 are about the same. I dont remember the Dave website but I think they have a free trial.

3. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers Spock.... I actually found a new forum today specifically for networking problems! I read through their archives and found a link to DAVE. They do still have a trial and it works just fine! (as long as you remember to allow access through your firewall! haha.... 2 hours wasted on that one..).

It works well enough for me to invest in it though I think. Still, 10.2 does it better :D

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

If you ever decide to upadte this software after it's release, make it OS X compatible, as there IS an OS X compatible fingerprint reader.

5. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I tried everywhere for about 3 months to find any mac compatible scanner..... Which company make it? I had two seperate companies tell me that they had plans for an osx compatible scanner but one said it was on hold until demand was sufficient and the other said it wouldn't be ready for release until july 2003... too late for my project.

It won't be a commercial product though, it's my final piece on my degree. If I make an osx version then I could always post up a link to an ftp site with it though.... Need MAX/MSP (cycling74) to be fully osx ready first though.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye