Networking Please Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danny_boy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. danny_boy macrumors member

Hi There,

I recenlty got my first Mac and I'm having a few problems networking my PC and my Mac for file and print sharing. I am getting this error message when I try to connect to my PC.

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb:// xxx.xxxxx.xxxx.corp" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)."

I have managed to get file and print sharing by disabling my Norton Firewall application. When I did this I was able to connect to my PC and print. I have added the IP address of my Mac as a trusted source. But the problem still persists. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Danny

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well you got cut off but I'm assuming you'll probably want this thread. :)

3. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

I did get cut of, I've added the rest now. I actually followed that thread and I've looked through all the pages to see if I can find my problem but can't.

Danny

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

This error usually occurs when the Mac is trying to connect to the PC while the PC is either rebooting or there's some sort of disconnection occuring. Try restarting your PC and then try connecting. 9/10 times a reboot has fixed this problem for me.

5. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

I tried rebooting didnt think the error. My PowerBook just sits there with the "Connecting To Server" box, it then times out and I get the error message. Any more ideas? I really think its my firewall which needs sorting.

Danny

6. Cvstos macrumors member

Did you turn on Windows File Sharing in OS X? Is the Windows box set up for sharing? (Simple question, I know, but I find it's easier to go after the "d'oh" style mistakes first. It saves you a headache when you find out something just wasn't plugged in.)

7. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

Yep Windows Sharing is on. I can actually share files and print if I turn my Norton Firewall of on my PC. I can ping my PowerBook and all is good. But when I ping my PC from my PowerBook none of the packets get through they all time out. Ahhhhhh

Danny

8. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Is ther by any chance a firewall installed on the PC?

If it's one from MS, try and disable it...

If it's a norton, i can't help you...

at work we have norton firewall on a couple of desktops, and even when you shut down the firewall it doesn't work. Even when you disable it and boot, sharing still doesn't work.

Norton is a POS even on PC's.... but that aside...

From the looks of it, is seems like a firewall on the PC blocking traffic

9. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

Norton is indeed a piece of crap! But like you all know Windows machines are VERY prone to getting Viruses, Spyware the lot basically. And I use my PC for apps I need for Uni. Im gonna try getting some tech support from Symantec. If there are any knowlegable windows users out there who could help me?

Danny

10. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

Anyone got any more ideas? I know its my Norton Firewall I'm just unsure how to fix it.

Danny

11. baummer macrumors 6502a

Ok, try disabling Norton Firewall and see if this works.

12. Deminos macrumors newbie

There should be a setting in Norton firewall for authorized sites or trusted sites or something of the such (I'll look at it when I'm at work and fix this post) But you should be able to put in a trusted IP range. Place your private ip/ips in here and it should allow your MAC to access your PC. Also check your firewall exceptions to ensure you are not blocking icmp.

13. danny_boy thread starter macrumors member

It works a charm when Norton is disabled.

Danny