Networking prob OS X - Win

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mads, Apr 8, 2003.

1. mads macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook running 10.2.4 connected to a Windows 2000 machine, and I'm having some trouble connecting. What I would like to do is share the files and the printer on the windows box.

When I try to connect to it using apple-k, it pops up in the server window, but when I doubleclick it, a new window tells me that "An error has occured ( Error = -36 )". After reading on apples website, I found out that this means that the server has refused the connection, but the weird thing is that the mac doesn't even prompt me for a password.

I tried enabling appletalk on the windows machine, but I get the same message trying to connect to afp://192.168.0.1 as smb://192.168.0.1. It works perfectly from my other PC, and connecting the other way around ( from the PC to the mac ) works too.

Is there anything I've missed? Any tips?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mads

Do you have a share path? (Drive Shared/recursed Folder Shared/etc)

It's possible to have sharing active in the PC, but without a designated shared folder within a shared drive, that might be a possible cause.

This would explain the lack of a UID/PW request before the connection refusal.

Be sure the PC can "See Itself" in the "Network Neighborhood" and dig into it to see if there are folders within the share.

3. mads thread starter macrumors newbie

I've checked that the PC can see itself, and access everything from the network neighbourhood, but the mac still doesn't connect.

I also tried everything from the other thread, but nothing worked.

4. DeKa macrumors member

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mads

Not to annoy, but did you, using the PC through network, dig into it to see if there are folders within the share?

I only ask because this is a significant test.

Ok, to recap. You can see the Mac from the PC and connect to it, and you can see the PC from the Mac, but can't connect. When you try, right after the 'Connect' command, there is a pause, then an error -50 even before the Workgroup/UID/PW screen.

Is his right?

If you do see the Workgroup/UID/PW, have you tried to log into the PC with the same credentials as the PC?

What about the situation have I missed?

6. mads thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been out of town for a while, so I haven't been able to respond before now.

Yes, I can see all the folders, copy to and from them, and do everything else both from the PC sharing the files and another PC connected to it.

The error number is actually -36, not -50, but everthing else is correct.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk